Topic: Failure rate of population of components: Underdamped response to
step function

Replies: 15   Last Post: Nov 18, 2013 10:15 AM

Paul

Re: Failure rate of population of components: Underdamped response to
step function

On Sunday, November 17, 2013 4:29:29 PM UTC-5, Rich Ulrich wrote:
> I would say that the population can be described by (or as) a
> Poisson process, and I think other biostatisticians would, too.
> Maybe some specialties use the language you suggest, but it seems
> more proper, to me, to say something like "constant hazard", etc.
>
> Still. "constant failure rate" implies NO PEAK. That is the
> situation at the asymptote, in the picture you linked. It is not
> the situation that creates a peak.

I think you hit the nail on the head, Rich. The situation to which
the diagram refers is a population of parts, each governed by a
Poisson process, but collectively, it isn't Poisson until the
oscillations die down. It is the transient response of the entire
population that I was interested in.

>> Actually, it also implies exponentially decaying PDF for
>> time-to-failure. Again, sorry for not being more specific.

> That would be, "exponentially decaying time-to-NEXT-failure" for the
> population. Uniform distribution. Poisson. These are intimately
> related.

Indeed. But at the level of individual parts. Also at the population
level, but only when the oscillations die down.

Date Subject Author
11/4/13
Read Failure rate of population of components: Underdamped response to
step function
Paul
11/4/13
Read Re: Failure rate of population of components: Underdamped response to step function
Richard Ulrich
11/5/13
Read Re: Failure rate of population of components: Underdamped response to
step function
Paul
11/5/13
Read Re: Failure rate of population of components: Underdamped response to step function
Richard Ulrich
11/6/13
Read Re: Failure rate of population of components: Underdamped response to
step function
Paul
11/6/13
Read Re: Failure rate of population of components: Underdamped response to step function
Richard Ulrich
11/7/13
Read Re: Failure rate of population of components: Underdamped response to
step function
Paul
11/7/13
Read Re: Failure rate of population of components: Underdamped response to step function
Richard Ulrich
11/10/13
Read Re: Failure rate of population of components: Underdamped response to
step function
Paul
11/11/13
Read Re: Failure rate of population of components: Underdamped response to step function
Richard Ulrich
11/15/13
Read Re: Failure rate of population of components: Underdamped response to
step function
mr.fred.ma@gmail.com
11/15/13
Read Re: Failure rate of population of components: Underdamped response to step function
Richard Ulrich
11/15/13
Read Re: Failure rate of population of components: Underdamped response to
step function
Paul
11/17/13
Read Re: Failure rate of population of components: Underdamped response to step function
Richard Ulrich
11/18/13
Read Re: Failure rate of population of components: Underdamped response to
step function
Paul
11/5/13
Read Re: Failure rate of population of components: Underdamped response to
step function
Dan Heyman