Replies: 6   Last Post: Nov 17, 2013 5:05 PM

Dan Christensen

On Sunday, November 17, 2013 2:55:58 PM UTC-5, Julio Di Egidio wrote:
> "Dan Christensen" <Dan_Christensen@sympatico.ca> wrote in message

> > On Sunday, November 17, 2013 2:04:57 PM UTC-5, Julio Di Egidio wrote:
>
> <snip>
>

> >> Yes, but you still do not address any objections to that position.
>
> >> Namely,
>
> >> that you have *not* proved that 0^0 *must* be undefined,
>

> > You can't formally "prove" such an informal statement; you can only
>
> > provide a rationale as I have done.
>

> That is what *I* would say, while you keep proposing "formal proofs" just at
>
> the next paragraph!

I have provided a rationale for leaving 0^0 undefined, one based only formal proofs. No hand-waving, no analogies to various combinatorial or set-theoretic notions. Just ordinary, natural-number arithmetic, as you would expect for a definition of repeated multiplication on N.

> >> you have rather at
>
> >> best provided some formal support to the naive high-school level approach
>
> >> that simply leaves it undefined. Big difference.
>

> > I have formally proven that for all x0 in N (including 0), there exists an
>
> > exponent-like functions ^ such that:
>

> Such that "any number works": exactly what I had explained.

That's pretty much what we mean by 0^0 being undefined.

Dan
Visit my new math blog at http://www.dcproof.wordpress.com