Topic: About the origin of NYSED/engageny.org K-12 modules
Replies: 3   Last Post: Nov 19, 2013 2:04 PM

Dianne Gizowski

RE: About the origin of NYSED/engageny.org K-12 modules

They also have given us background on many of the people from Common Core, Inc who are leading the work. There are people who have had involvement with the writing of the standards themselves, the progression documents, and PARCC who work for the company. Many of the people who train us on the modules in Albany are teachers who have been part of the writing of the lessons and modules, and are using the lessons themselves in their classrooms. There are NY teachers, as well as teachers from other states. While there are also mathematicians who are involved with the module project, past and present teachers by far, seem to be the bigger constituency.
From: owner-nyshsmath@mathforum.org [owner-nyshsmath@mathforum.org] On Behalf Of Kiernan, Katrina [KKiernan@ws.k12.ny.us]
Sent: Monday, November 18, 2013 4:13 PM
To: nyshsmath@mathforum.org
Subject: RE: About the origin of NYSED/engageny.org K-12 modules

I am adding a slice of information to this thread. Having been to many of the Albany training sessions to roll out the modules, you gain insight as to who is authoring the modules. The vendor, Common Core Inc., had to hire many classroom teachers to help write the modules because they did not anticipate the rigor NYS was going to put them through. I have met classroom teachers who have written lessons for the modules (they work in neighboring school districts). NYS has thrown out series of lessons written because they did not meet the rubric guidelines. Knowing this I understand, but do not like, the delay in not having all the modules.
The teachers they hired had to pass a two day interview and produce some work before being considered for employment.