Topic: Common Core Textbook and Workbook
Replies: 15   Last Post: Nov 23, 2013 5:41 PM

Jonathan Halabi

Re: Common Core Textbook and Workbook
att1.html (7.8 K)

"The teacher asked Sally to count from 176 to 214, as part of the standard
where we are learning to mix counting by ones, tens, and hundreds, getting
us ready to subtract down the road...."

There is something not right about the question. It's about a transitional
process that we do not expect children to retain for long.

One of the most powerful things about teaching children mathematics is that
we do not have them unlearn things later on. I believe this question, by
focusing on process at an inappropriate moment, manages to fall outside of
that.

Jonathan Halabi
the Bronx