Topic: Essay: The Future of High School Math
Replies: 38   Last Post: Dec 13, 2013 9:36 AM

Gary Tupper

Re: Essay: The Future of High School Math

On 12/12/2013 7:47 AM, GS Chandy wrote:
> Robert Hansen posted Dec 12, 2013 6:45 PM (http://mathforum.org/kb/message.jspa?messageID=9342039):
>> On Dec 12, 2013, at 5:56 AM, GS Chandy
>> <gs_chandy@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>

>>> i) An *effective* course would NOT be "severely
>> lacking", as RH suggests, "in providing the student
>> the ability to earn a living": any sound course would
>> always be tied to providing students the ability to
>> earn a living"; and
>>
>> I suggested that an effective course would not be
>> effective?
>>

> I don't know. Did you suggest such a thing? That would seem to be not very sensible. You have suggested other weird ideas, such as "Students must be PUSHED to learn math", and etc. You have also lent support to the infamous slogans propounded by Haim and Wayne Bishop, namely:
>
> - -- "PUT THE EDUCATION MAFIA IN JAIL!" and
> - -- "BLOW UP THE SCHOOLS OF EDUCATION!"
>
> neither of which is meaningful vis-a-vis the improvement of education in the US (or in any country).

>> Gary never said ?effective?. He said half-and-half,
>> sudoku and puzzles. I was suggesting (obviously) that
>> such a course, based on sudoku and puzzles, would not
>> be effective in providing the student the ability to
>> earn a living.
>>

> The 'sudoku and puzzles' may well - if effectively handled - help the learner to get over the 'fear and loathing' of math that is alas all too common using traditional means of teaching math.

I never intended that math become "puzzles" - only that students be
exposed to the notion that math is essentially "figuring things out".
What many adults do with their sudokus, crosswords etc in their spare
time is essentially "figuring things out". (without loathing or fear).
Most of us get real satisfaction in solving some problem or other. Why
not expose students to such experiences through mathematics?

If we limit a math education to mastery of various algorithms, then I
believe we seriously shortchange students. If math is reduced to
training & memorization, then what advantage is there to learning math
versus Biology or History. I don't claim that other subjects are bereft
of analysis, but math has the advantage that such "figuring" can take
place at a much earlier age. Rather than present a class with a 12 X 12
table to memorize - even speed-test, why not provide an environment
where many students could 'discover' that an even X an integer is even;
that an odd X odd is odd; that numbers can be multiplied in any order
etc - leading into the table memorization.
A capable student should be able to, say , multiply 7X 19 by noting it
is 7 less than 20 7s, which are themselves 10 14s - all mentally.

I believe we are better served if graduating students can confidently
view themselves as proficient at such analysis (rather than claiming
they have aced 'Cramer's Rule' or whatever.)

Gary Tupper
Terrace BC

PS Computer programming is another conduit for such 'math' creativity.

Date Subject Author
12/10/13
Read Essay: The Future of High School Math
Jerry P. Becker
12/10/13
Read Re: Essay: The Future of High School Math
Robert Hansen
12/11/13
Read Re: Essay: The Future of High School Math
kirby urner
12/11/13
[...]
Louis Talman
12/12/13
Read Re: Essay: The Future of High School Math
Robert Hansen
12/12/13
Read Re: Essay: The Future of High School Math
Louis Talman
12/12/13
Read Re: Essay: The Future of High School Math
Robert Hansen
12/11/13
Read Re: Essay: The Future of High School Math
Louis Talman
12/12/13
Read Re: Essay: The Future of High School Math
Bishop, Wayne
12/12/13
Read Re: Essay: The Future of High School Math
Robert Hansen
12/12/13
Read Re: Essay: The Future of High School Math
Louis Talman
12/11/13
Read Re: Essay: The Future of High School Math
Robert Hansen
12/11/13
Read Re: Essay: The Future of High School Math
GS Chandy
12/12/13
[...]
12/13/13