*********************************** Sent at the request of Janet Herrelko. *********************************** Tenure-Track Position in the Department of Teacher Education
ASSISTANT PROFESSOR STEM MATHEMATICS
The University of Dayton Department of Teacher Education is seeking a dynamic faculty member prepared to play a critical role in creating and implementing curriculum and programs in STEM MATHEMATICS education. This is a tenure-track faculty position in the field of STEM with the focus on MATHEMATICS.
The University of Dayton,founded in 1850 by the Society of Mary, is a top ten Catholic research university. The University seeks outstanding, diverse faculty and staff who value its mission and share its commitment to academic excellence in teaching, research and artistic creativity, the development of the whole person, and leadership and service in the local and global community.
The Department of Teacher Education envisions STEM education as the coalescence of rigorous concepts in the fields of science, technology, engineering, and mathematics integrated and applied to real world problems. STEM education uses inquiry, logical reasoning, and collaboration with appropriate technology to help students learn approaches to solving problems facing the world today. The faculty member filling this position will have lead responsibilities in the Department for creating and teaching STEM curricula and certificates that prepare undergraduates and graduate students to integrate STEM content for early and middle childhood licensure programs.
Essential job skills include effective listening, communication, and problem solving and maintaining collaborative and productive work relationships with faculty, staff, and partnership schools. The faculty member filling this position will actively contribute service as a team member to professional communities, particularly as related to STEM education.
Required qualifications for the position:
* Ph.D. or Ed.D. in Mathematics Education, or Education with a Mathematics concentration;
* A minimum of three years as a licensed and practicing PK-12 educator in mathematics focusing on experience in PK-8;
* Expertise and experience in effective mathematics instruction;
* Experience and willingness to teach using a STEM inquiry-approach;
* Proficiency in data-based assessment strategies and the implementation of Common Core State Standards for Mathematics;
* Demonstrate potential for scholarship in STEM educational areas;
* Familiarity with state and national professional standards for mathematics teachers as well as the Common Core State Standards for Mathematics;
* Exhibit best practices in teaching mathematics and employing high leverage instructional practices that utilize STEM as a tool to increase student achievement;
* Successful experience in teaching in higher education; with a focus on early and middle childhood;
* Experience teaching on-line courses;
* Experience in developing and sustaining relationships with partners in diverse PK-12 school settings;
* Successful experience in working with teams in higher education and preK-12;
* Demonstrated ability to integrate STEM mathematics into methods coursework and to train others in these;
* Demonstrated record of scholarship;
* Demonstrate an affinity for the values central to a Marianist education, including valuing diversity and a commitment to social justice.
Candidates should submit
. a letter of application addressing qualifications, accomplishments, and interest in the position;
. a C.V.;
. names and contact information of three current professional references;
. informal transcripts of all coursework in Mathematics and-STEM and the UD application for employment form.
Additionally, candidates are required to submit two statements:
1) A Statement of Research; 2) A Statement of Philosophy of Teaching.
Review of applications will begin immediately and the position will remain open until January 22, 2013.
If you would like more information on this position, please e-mail Dr. Janet Herrelko, Chair of the STEM Mathematics Search Committee at <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org>email@example.com.
To attain its Catholic and Marianist mission, the University is committed to the principles of diversity, inclusion and affirmative action and to equal opportunity policies and practices. We act affirmatively to recruit and hire women,traditionally under-represented minority groups, people with disabilities and veterans.
Janet M. Herrelko, Ed.D.,NBCT Associate Professor Mathematics Education Associate Department Chair Teacher Education University of Dayton 300 College Park Dayton, OH 45469-0525 937-229-3037 (O) 937-229-3000 (fax) <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org>email@example.com
-- Jerry P. Becker Dept. of Curriculum & Instruction Southern Illinois University 625 Wham Drive Mail Code 4610 Carbondale, IL 62901-4610 Phone: (618) 453-4241 [O] (618) 457-8903 [H] Fax: (618) 453-4244 E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org