Topic: Alfred Nobel's wife
Replies: 11   Last Post: Dec 15, 2013 8:59 PM

magidin@math.berkeley.edu

Re: Alfred Nobel's wife

On Saturday, December 14, 2013 10:50:43 PM UTC-6, John wrote:
> On Sat, 14 Dec 2013 14:05:16 -0800 (PST), Arturo Magidin
>
> <magidin@member.ams.org> wrote:
>

> >On Saturday, December 14, 2013 1:23:33 PM UTC-6, John Schutkeker wrote:
>
> >> Does anybody in here know the name of the mathematician who stole Alfred Nobel's wife?
>

> Harry the Ig-noble?
>

> > I think it is just as important to learn the names of history's villains as it is
>
> >to know the heroes. TIA.
>

> Somehat, yes, but glorifying the heroes at the expense of the victims
>
> is often also wrong.
>
> Everyone remembers Saloth Sar but who remembers the lady on the road
>
> who was left behind?
>

> >There was no such event. For one thing, Nobel WAS NEVER MARRIED, so there is no way
>
> >any mathematician could have had an affair with Nobel's wife.
>

> So, okay, does anyone know the name of the vile creature who stole
>
> away the heart of she who otherwise would have been Nobel's wife?

No such person.

> Whomever she was?

Nobel had a mistress, and there is no evidence whatsoever that she ever left him or that she had an affair with someone else. The old cannard about Nobel having a beef with mathematicians is pure fabricated nonsense.

> >http://www.snopes.com/science/nobel.asp
>

> >Even more important than learning the names of history's villains, it is more important
>
> > to learn the truth, rather than the fanciful inventions about history.
>

> But invention's more fun. And it sells more newspapers.

And it breeds more ignorance. And more idiots.

--
Arturo Magidin