Topic: Whatever happened to James Harris? Arturo?
Replies: 23   Last Post: Dec 25, 2013 4:56 PM

magidin@math.berkeley.edu

Re: Whatever happened to James Harris? Arturo?

On Sunday, December 15, 2013 10:59:54 AM UTC-6, Port563 wrote:
> I participated in sci.math a long time ago. Now, I am older and rustier,
>
> and my rust has rust.
>

> When I was last by this way, Prof. Lounesto had passed (in 2002), alas.
>

> And James Harris (of FLT infamy) was still busy polluting the group all too
>
> regularly.
>

> Only a few familiar names now - I note that the patient and tireless Arturo
>
> Magidin is still here.

Barely...

> What happened to JSH, Arturo?
>

> Did JSH apologize or retract, or just fade away?

No, he did not apologize; no he did not retract. I offered to stop replying if he asked explicitly; eventually, we had this exchange:

http://mathforum.org/kb/plaintext.jspa?messageID=523002
http://mathforum.org/kb/plaintext.jspa?messageID=523003
http://mathforum.org/kb/plaintext.jspa?messageID=523004

The "offers" refer to:
http://groups.google.com/group/sci.math/msg/a372dd4930d6af0

Some of the last interactions I had:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topicsearchin/sci.math/messageid$3Abn920i$24201k$241@agate.b

and "Nora Baron":

https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en#!msg/sci.math/3h1SshtCNoc/XZgtjQJ3uSgJ

(no, I don't have these at my fingertips; I saved the URLs a long time ago, just in case)

James abandoned sci.math and set up blogs instead. You can see his current writings at

http://somemath.blogspot.com/

and associated pages. (He had other blogs that he periodically deleted).

--
Arturo Magidin

Date Subject Author
12/15/13
Read Whatever happened to James Harris? Arturo?
Port563
12/16/13
Read Re: Whatever happened to James Harris? Arturo?
Pfsszxt@aol.com
12/16/13
Read Re: Whatever happened to James Harris? Arturo?
Port563
12/16/13
Read Re: Whatever happened to James Harris? Arturo?
RedAcer
12/16/13
Read Re: Whatever happened to James Harris? Arturo?
Port563
12/16/13
Read Re: Whatever happened to James Harris? Arturo?
magidin@math.berkeley.edu
12/16/13
Read Re: Whatever happened to James Harris? Arturo?
magidin@math.berkeley.edu
12/16/13
Read Re: Whatever happened to James Harris? Arturo?
Peter Percival
12/16/13
Read Re: Whatever happened to James Harris? Arturo?
magidin@math.berkeley.edu
12/16/13
Read Re: Whatever happened to James Harris? Arturo?
Port563
12/16/13
Read Re: Whatever happened to James Harris? Arturo?
Port563
12/16/13
Read Re: Whatever happened to James Harris? Arturo?
Jens Stuckelberger
12/16/13
Read Re: Whatever happened to James Harris? Arturo?
Port563
12/17/13
Read Re: Whatever happened to James Harris? Arturo?
Rick Decker
12/17/13
Read Re: Whatever happened to James Harris? Arturo?
Port563
12/20/13
Read Re: Whatever happened to James Harris? Arturo?
Rotwang
12/20/13
Read Re: Whatever happened to James Harris? Arturo?
Port563
12/24/13
Read Re: Whatever happened to James Harris? Arturo?
David Bernier
12/24/13
Read Re: Whatever happened to James Harris? Arturo?
fom
12/24/13
Read Re: Whatever happened to James Harris? Arturo?
Port563
12/24/13
Read Re: Whatever happened to James Harris? Arturo?
fom
12/24/13
Read Re: Whatever happened to James Harris? Arturo?
Port563
12/25/13
Read Re: Whatever happened to James Harris? Arturo?
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
12/25/13
Read Re: Whatever happened to James Harris? Arturo?
Virgil