Topic: Re: Matheology sqrt(-2): WM admits to unlistability of 0/1 sequences
Replies: 2   Last Post: Dec 22, 2013 6:12 PM

JT

Den söndagen den 22:e december 2013 kl. 23:45:41 UTC+1 skrev jonas.t...@gmail.com:
> Den söndagen den 22:e december 2013 kl. 23:14:38 UTC+1 skrev Zeit Geist:

> > > The correct answer to that question is a string of infinitly many zeros followed by a one.
>

> > Which is NOT a Real Number.
>

> > The Decimal Sequence for Real Numbers ( between 0 and 1 ) have only 1 decimal place for each Natural Number.
>

> > > Now i do not consider infinity to be numerical or having a magnitude, a limit is another thing.
>

> > > You see it is all very simple to be able to claim that 0.999... actually add up to 1. You must be able to prove that there is such x that 10^-x actually equals zero and i do not see how you can.
>

> > Why is that? You seem confused.
>

> > > The use of ALL seem a little fuzzy since creating all is not reachable.
>

> > The set of Natural Numbers reaches any finite n.
>

> > > Take this computation when will it reach zero, the answer is never. There is no infinite sequense of 0.999... that will render a zero in the remainder, that is simple truth.
>

> > Maybe because it's an Infinite Sequence?
>

> > > Bijective bases do not have that problem in any instance you just can add an A to tranform to raise the previous 9 to an A.
>

> > > And since in bijective base 1 equals .A the problem could never occure as i see it 0.999... is the unfortunate result of t that 1/3 can not be expressed in using base 10 decimals.
>

> > > And it followed that 3*0.333... must have an answer.
>

> > > The simple truth is that you simple can not partiton 1/9, 1/3 in base ten decimals exactly.
>

> > Not for a finite number of Decimal Places, but the Real Numbers are defined in Infinitelly many.
>

> > > The workround fix was to just stipulate and claim that they will if there is an infinite number of following 3s or 9s.
>

> > Because There Is! It's Not a "workround". It's a fact.
>

> > > But it simply not the truth.
>

> > > x=1;
>

> > > y=0.9
>

> > > while (x>0) {x=x-y; y=y/10;}
>

> > > Will Always give a none zero remainder.
>

> > Because? I will let you figure it out.
>

> > ZG
>

> Because numbers are not made out of pink fairies?
>
> Yes that may be the case so let me handle the numbers and you go play with the pink fairies.

Oh i Think i get the grip out of it now infinity is approaching the pink fairies.
So after infinite time our the terms get so small that x will deplete.

x=1;
y=0.9;

while (x>0) {
x=x-y;
y=y/10;
if(x<=infsmall){deplete((x=0) or warpainted.pixiefaires.transform(y=x))}
}

If i only new when started the conversation that the actual answer was so in my face, that i actually could not grasp it.