Replies: 2   Last Post: Dec 24, 2013 12:13 AM

Clyde Greeno @ MALEI

Re: [SPAM]Kids understand multi-digit numbers as early as age 3

Poppycock! The authors are very "Mix-ed" up about the mathematics and about
the mythical role of "place values." As reported. below, their findings have
nothing to do with "place value" ... mathematically or psychologically.

All students eventually and automatically learn that simple Arabic numerals
are linearly ordered by two rules for alphabetizing: (1) same-length
numerals are ordered "dictionary-wise", and (2) all longer numerals follow
all shorter ones . [The last condition is what trips them up when they
encounter decimal-point numbers; different rules for alphabetically
ordering the numerals.]

As soon as children can learn the alphabet of Arabic digits, they can begin
learning about digit-strings and the alphabetics, thereof. That learning
usually begins outside of school.

Even though the digit-strings present their digits in sequential *places*,
children below age 7 rarely comprehend that the *places* can have numeric
values. In fact, even very young children commonly can learn to pronounce,
in English denominations, such strings as 999,999,999,999,999. But
identifying phonic denominations with *places* by no means is indicative
that the child has numeric values for even 3-place numerals.

If their research says anything at all, it is that educators had far better
be looking at the alphabetics of the numerals, than supposing children to
know something that they cannot.