Topic: Keith Devlin's Online Course
Replies: 88   Last Post: Jan 5, 2014 9:31 PM

Anna Roys

Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
att1.html (2.2 K)

Joe,

I quickly clicked away before I could complain about the use of "recondite"
in your prior post - not wanting to make a big deal of it. I think I
understood what you meant by your post and let it go. (The English teacher
in me wanted to use "recondite" as an adjective describing an intellectual
persuit.)

Anna 8)

Happy New Year Everyone!

On Sun, Dec 29, 2013 at 9:36 AM, Joe Niederberger
<niederberger@comcast.net>wrote:

> >I was intrigued by JN's distinction between "smart" and "recondite", so I
> checked out in a couple of dictionaries. Here is part of what I found:
> <snip>
>
> Here's a bit more - "recondite" is usually applied to subject matter, not
> persons. I was wondering who would call me to task. A sort of intentional
> slight Slip Mahoneyism. But interpreted in the obvious way it does capture
> what I intended to say.
>

> >However, it IS true, as suggested by Kirby Urner, that being 'smart'
> these days may well mean being lonely at parties.
>
> If that is meant as implying a causal relationship, I see no reason to
> believe it true. I certainly think certain personality types may feel
> lonely, but I don't think it has anything to do with being "smart". Perhaps
> those personalities are also drawn to recondite subjects and musings,
> creating some correlation.
>
> We had a party here the other day with frosh from MIT, Princeton, CMU,
> etc. A very lively and sociable bunch, they played games and laughed and
> had general good time for many hours.
>
> As far interpreting what Kirby had to say, I guess I was simply standing
> in disagreement, if he also meant to imply some sort of causal relation
> (and I think he did.)
>
> Cheers,
> Joe N

Date Subject Author
12/24/13
Read Keith Devlin's Online Course
Robert Hansen
12/24/13
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
kirby urner
12/24/13
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
Robert Hansen
12/27/13
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
kirby urner
12/29/13
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
Robert Hansen
12/29/13
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
kirby urner
12/30/13
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
Robert Hansen
12/30/13
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
kirby urner
12/30/13
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
Robert Hansen
1/1/14
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
kirby urner
1/1/14
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
Robert Hansen
1/1/14
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
kirby urner
1/1/14
Read Why Casual Programming doesn't Exist
Robert Hansen
1/2/14
Read Re: Why Casual Programming doesn't Exist
kirby urner
1/2/14
Read Re: Why Casual Programming doesn't Exist
Robert Hansen
1/5/14
[...]
12/26/13
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
[...]
[...]
[...]
[...]