Topic: Has anyone else heard this?
Replies: 10   Last Post: Dec 31, 2013 11:26 AM

bill wickes

RE: Has anyone else heard this?

How dare you attempt to make sense

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-nyshsmath@mathforum.org [mailto:owner-nyshsmath@mathforum.org] On Behalf Of Nick B
Sent: Monday, December 30, 2013 8:41 AM
To: nyshsmath@mathforum.org
Subject: Re: Has anyone else heard this?

The state backing off on the Algebra CC Regents would be a shocker. The state just released sample questions for the exam. For the life of me, what I don't understand is why we can't have a "trial" year. Give the kids the exam without negative consequences associated for anyone (teachers and students) and let's see how they do. Essentially, this is what the state did with the middle school assessments (yes, I know that the results count for teachers' APPR, but those scores are growth scores, not achievement scores). I know that the first time I teach a course, I make lots of mistakes and don't "see" the flow of the course or the major themes until I've taught it once through. Why penalize my students for my mistakes? Why penalize my students for what I choose to emphasize and what I choose not to? We're all new to this (including SED) so it just makes so much sense to have a trial year. Then, next year, we're in this full swing.

*
*