Topic: Has anyone else heard this?
Replies: 10   Last Post: Dec 31, 2013 11:26 AM

Evan Romer

Re: Commissioner King's letter (was: Has anyone else heard this?)

My opinion is that the Common Core curriculum itself is a positive
change for NY and the country, but that the implementation in NY last
year and this year has been seriously flawed. And I don't think
Commissioner King gets that, or isn't willing to admit it.

About the implementation, he wrote in paragraph 5 of today's letter:

> Although much attention has been paid to concerns about
> implementation, there is
> also evidence of important and positive change. Each week, I visit
> classrooms where
> educators ? particularly in communities that began this work during
> the 2010-11 school
> year, when the standards were adopted by the Board ? continue to
> refine their practice and
> challenge students with rigorous and exciting learning activities.
> Students in these
> Common Core-inspired classrooms benefit from meaningful and lasting
> learning.

At his public forum in Binghamton last month, he said something
similar: about having visited classrooms in WIndsor and Binghamton
schools and seeing lots of great work being done. In response, one of
the following speakers said (this is very much a paraphrase) that OF
COURSE he saw great work being done. Teachers care a great deal about
teaching and learning, and will go above and beyond to make it work,
whatever you ask them to do and whatever you give them to work with.
Seeing great things going on in classrooms isn't evidence that NYS's
implementation is on the right track: it just means that skilled and
caring teachers are doing their jobs as best they can.

(That one was of my two favorite comments at the forum. The other was
the teacher who said that despite his claim that he was listening to
parents and educators, Commissioner King was more like the boy who
doesn't want to hear, so he shuts his eyes, puts his head down, sticks
his fingers in his ears and chants "Pearson, Pearson, Pearson,
Pearson, Pearson, ..." to block the sound.)

Evan Romer
Susquehanna Valley HS
Conklin NY

*