Topic: Matheology sqrt(-3): An unlistable class of reals.
Replies: 12   Last Post: Dec 29, 2013 5:38 PM

Michael F. Stemper

Re: Matheology sqrt(-3): An unlistable class of reals.

On 12/28/2013 10:36 AM, mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de wrote:
> On Friday, 27 December 2013 21:16:27 UTC+1, Virgil wrote:
>> In article <f030c334-e5f4-4ace-b0b7-fe82332039f0@googlegroups.com>,
>> mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de wrote:

>>> No. In mathematics

>> WM is not competent to speak for mathematics.

> I have been teaching mathematics for more than 20 years and have written three books on mathematics, one of which became a best seller.
> http://www.hs-augsburg.de/~mueckenh/Infinity/Bestseller.pdf

Indeed. Photoshopping the word "Bestseller" on a picture doesn't
prove much of anything. Sales figures would prove something.

I did a little digging, and found:
<http://www.amazon.de/Mathematik-f%C3%BCr-die-ersten-Semester/dp/348658913X>,
which says:
"Amazon Bestseller-Rang: Nr. 1.651.256 in Bücher"

Since I didn't have any feeling for how whether this was good or
bad for a math book (compared to, say, _The Hunger Games), I went to:
<http://www.amazon.com/General-Topology-Dover-Books-Mathematics/dp/0486434796>
There, I see:
"Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #384,730 in Books"

Now, we see an introductory text at 1,651,256, and we see an upper-class
or grad-level text at 384,730. Logic says that introductory texts have
a much broader potential market than do upper-class or graduate-level
texts. So, it's difficult to credit a claim that this was a bestseller.

Sales figures might be convincing, as might a claim by the publisher.
However, when I go to:
<http://www.degruyter.com/view/product/228984?rskey=TfZK4I&result=10>
I don't see any such claims. No effort at all to brag about this text's
high popularity.

--
Michael F. Stemper
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.