GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India
Registered: 9/29/05
Re: Kids understand multi-digit numbers as early as age 3 ???
Researchers' blunder.

Robert Hansen (RH) posted Dec 25, 2013 3:32 AM (http://mathforum.org/kb/message.jspa?messageID=9349936) - GSC's remarks follow:

> On Dec 24, 2013, at 1:27 PM, Clyde Greeno @ MALEI
> <greeno@malei.org> wrote:
>

> > It is bad enough that the Achieve Corporation's
> mathematics "standards" for American schools start
> t the teaching of "place values" at primary-school
> levels ... so prompting under-informed schools to
> inundate the very young with mathematical meanderings
> that are beyond their abilities to comprehend.
>
> Whoa now. There is nothing wrong in talking to these
> things during the normal course of school work. It is
> an absolutely necessary activity. Remember, these
> notions grow on you and they don?t start as notions
> because they can?t start as notions without any
> substance to base them on. Wayne once pointed out
> something that stuck with me. And I will paraphrase:
> Often, in pedagogy, just the mechanics is mostly the
> goal, for the time being. The blunder of these
> researchers was saying that the students ?understood?
> place value, not that students could identify that
> numbers have places, labeled one?s, ten?s, hundred?s
> etc. Sure, it?s not mathematical, it?s syntactical,
> but still required, before you get to the
> mathematical meaning of it.
>
> Study the whole journey Clyde. Not just one moments
> worth.
>
> Bob Hansen

Whoa, now, RH. Try and study what the person is actually saying/claiming. Not just what you wrongly think he is doing.

GSC