Topic: Negative value of cost function(objective function)
Replies: 3   Last Post: Jan 2, 2014 2:27 PM

Alan Weiss

Re: Negative value of cost function(objective function)

On 1/1/2014 11:30 PM, Rubayet wrote:
> Hello every one,
>
> I am developing my cost function as objective function .this function
> is nonlinear & my optimization model is unconstrained nolinear
> model.While i use fminsearch as solver i am gettting negative value
> for my cost function & one of my decision variable among two decision
> variable is also negative. May be fminsearch solver search from its
> default -Inf to Inf. I dont know whats going on? Can any body help me
> to figure out this problem. Please be informed that while i consider
> fixed value for my decision variables & put it into my objective
> function then i get the positive value.So there is no problem in my
> cost(objective) function.But while i run this by using fminsearch
> solver then i found negative value. I guess this is very basic
> problem. Does fminsearch has any default value for search area like
> -Inf to Inf .?.... so that its start taking negative value of my
> decision variable & giving me negative result in final iteration. So i
> am really looking for fruitful solution regarding this problem..
>
> Regards
> Rubayet

You say that a decision variable is negative in the fminsearch solution,
and you imply that you don't want that to happen. Unconstrained means
any value of a decision variable is OK. So fminsearch is doing what it
is supposed to do.

If you want your decision variables to remain positive, then I suggest
that you use fmincon (assuming that you have Optimization Toolbox), or
else use abs(x) as your decision variables, which keeps the values positive.

Alan Weiss