Topic: Constructing the Addition, Multiplication and Exponentiation
Functions from Peano's Axioms

Replies: 93   Last Post: Jan 13, 2014 4:06 PM

Roland Franzius

Re: Constructing the Addition, Multiplication and Exponentiation

Am 10.01.2014 06:39, schrieb Dan Christensen:

> The onus is on you. You claim that 0^0=1 but seem unable to derive
> this result or in any way justify it based on the usual definitions
> of natural numbers, addition and multiplication (i.e. on Peano's
> axioms.)
>
> I have shown that infinitely many binary functions on N satisfy any
> reasonable requirement for exponentiation, each such function
> differing only in the value assigned to 0^0. (See formal proofs in
> "Oh, the ambiguity!" at my math blog.)

Exponentiation with nonnegative integer exponents generally count equal
factors in associative and commutative products of any kind.

Generally, the absence of a factor x can be factored out or indicated as
x^0. There exist other notations to denote missing or discarding named
factors.

This algebraical uniformization trick canonically extends to the integer
factor 0 in products of integers.

In the same way it extends to the notation of absent factor X of the
empty space {} in multilinear and tensorial products of spaces.

It is easy to show that that adjunction of the rule
nothing^0 = multiplicative identity
to the rule
anything^0 = multiplicative identity
together with the standard rule derving from the identity axiom
identity^anything=identity
is an independent axiom that does not interfere with any material axiom
but only uniforms theorems by the reduction of the number of exceptions
on general formulas.

--

Roland Franzius

Date Subject Author
1/7/14
Read Constructing the Addition, Multiplication and Exponentiation
Functions from Peano's Axioms
Dan Christensen
1/7/14
Read Re: Constructing the Addition, Multiplication and Exponentiation
Functions from Peano's Axioms
Robin Chapman
1/7/14
Read Re: Constructing the Addition, Multiplication and Exponentiation
Functions from Peano's Axioms
Dan Christensen
1/7/14
Read Re: Constructing the Addition, Multiplication and Exponentiation
Functions from Peano's Axioms
Robin Chapman
1/7/14
Read Re: Constructing the Addition, Multiplication and Exponentiation
Functions from Peano's Axioms
Dan Christensen
1/8/14
[...]
Martin Shobe
1/8/14
Read Re: Constructing the Addition, Multiplication and Exponentiation
Functions from Peano's Axioms
Dan Christensen
1/8/14
Read Re: Constructing the Addition, Multiplication and Exponentiation
Functions from Peano's Axioms
Martin Shobe
1/8/14
Read Re: Constructing the Addition, Multiplication and Exponentiation
Functions from Peano's Axioms
Dan Christensen
1/8/14
Read Re: Constructing the Addition, Multiplication and Exponentiation
Functions from Peano's Axioms
Martin Shobe
1/9/14
[...]
Peter Percival
1/9/14
[...]
1/10/14
[...]
1/11/14
[...]
1/12/14
[...]
1/13/14
[...]
fom
1/13/14
Read Re: Constructing the Addition, Multiplication and Exponentiation
Functions from Peano's Axioms
Martin Shobe
1/8/14
Read Re: Constructing the Addition, Multiplication and Exponentiation
Functions from Peano's Axioms
Peter Percival
1/8/14
Read Re: Constructing the Addition, Multiplication and Exponentiation
Functions from Peano's Axioms
Dan Christensen
1/8/14
Read Re: Constructing the Addition, Multiplication and Exponentiation
Functions from Peano's Axioms
Ki Song
1/8/14
[...]
byron
1/9/14
Read Re: Constructing the Addition, Multiplication and Exponentiation
Functions from Peano's Axioms
Dan Christensen
1/9/14
Read Re: Constructing the Addition, Multiplication and Exponentiation
Functions from Peano's Axioms
Robin Chapman
1/9/14
Read Re: Constructing the Addition, Multiplication and Exponentiation
Functions from Peano's Axioms
David Bernier
1/9/14