Topic: Is the Universe Made of Math? [Excerpt]
Replies: 54   Last Post: Feb 8, 2014 8:48 PM

Re: Is the Universe Made of Math? [Excerpt]

On Friday, January 10, 2014 8:19:36 AM UTC-8, Sam Wormley wrote:
> Is the Universe Made of Math? [Excerpt]
>

> > http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=is-the-universe-made-of-math-excerpt
>

> > In this excerpt from his new book, Our Mathematical Universe, M.I.T.
>
> > professor Max Tegmark explores the possibility that math does not
>
> > just describe the universe, but makes the universe
>

> > What's the answer to the ultimate question of life, the universe, and
>
> > everything? In Douglas Adams' science-fiction spoof �The Hitchhiker's
>
> > Guide to the Galaxy�, the answer was found to be 42; the hardest part
>
> > turned out to be finding the real question. I find it very
>
> > appropriate that Douglas Adams joked about 42, because mathematics
>
> > has played a striking role in our growing understanding of our
>
> > Universe.
>

> > The Higgs Boson was predicted with the same tool as the planet
>
> > Neptune and the radio wave: with mathematics. Galileo famously stated
>
> > that our Universe is a �grand book� written in the language of
>
> > mathematics. So why does our universe seem so mathematical, and what
>
> > does it mean? In my new book �Our Mathematical Universe�, I argue
>
> > that it means that our universe isn�t just described by math, but
>
> > that it is math in the sense that we�re all parts of a giant
>
> > mathematical object, which in turn is part of a multiverse so huge
>
> > that it makes the other multiverses debated in recent years seem puny
>
> > in comparison.
>

> See:
>

> > http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=is-the-universe-made-of-math-excerpt

You say it is

Date Subject Author
1/10/14
Read Is the Universe Made of Math? [Excerpt]
Sam Wormley
1/10/14
Read Re: Is the Universe Made of Math? [Excerpt]
hanson
1/12/14
Read Re: Is the Universe Made of Math? [Excerpt]
The Starmaker
1/12/14
Read Re: Is the Universe Made of Math? [Excerpt]
David Bernier
1/12/14
Read Re: Is the Universe Made of Math? [Excerpt]
Maciej Woźniak
1/12/14
Read Re: Is the Universe Made of Math? [Excerpt]
fom
1/12/14
Read Re: Is the Universe Made of Math? [Excerpt]
David Bernier
1/12/14
Read Re: Is the Universe Made of Math? [Excerpt]
fom
1/12/14
Read Re: Is the Universe Made of Math? [Excerpt]
Maciej Woźniak
1/14/14
Read Re: Is the Universe Made of Math? [Excerpt]
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
1/14/14
Read Re: Is the Universe Made of Math? [Excerpt]
fom
1/17/14
Read Re: Is the Universe Made of Math? [Excerpt]
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
1/17/14
Read Re: Is the Universe Made of Math? [Excerpt]
Virgil
1/17/14
Read Re: Is the Universe Made of Math? [Excerpt]
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
1/17/14
Read Re: Is the Universe Made of Math? [Excerpt]
Virgil
1/18/14
Read Re: Is the Universe Made of Math? [Excerpt]
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
1/18/14
Read Re: Is the Universe Made of Math? [Excerpt]
Virgil
1/14/14
Read Re: Is the Universe Made of Math? [Excerpt]
Virgil
1/17/14
Read Re: Is the Universe Made of Math? [Excerpt]
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
1/17/14
Read Re: Is the Universe Made of Math? [Excerpt]
Virgil
1/25/14
Read Re: Is the Universe Made of Math? [Excerpt]
The Starmaker
1/25/14
Read Re: Is the Universe Made of Math? [Excerpt]
The Starmaker
1/26/14
Read Re: Is the Universe Made of Math? [Excerpt]
The Starmaker
1/26/14
Read Re: Is the Universe Made of Math? [Excerpt]
David Bernier
1/26/14
Read Re: Is the Universe Made of Math? [Excerpt]
David Bernier
1/27/14
Read Re: Is the Universe Made of Math? [Excerpt]
David Bernier
1/28/14
Read Re: Is the Universe Made of Math? [Excerpt]
The Starmaker
1/28/14
Read Re: Is the Universe Made of Math? [Excerpt]
Maciej Woźniak
1/28/14
Read Re: Is the Universe Made of Math? [Excerpt]
The Starmaker
1/28/14
Read Re: Is the Universe Made of Math? [Excerpt]
Malcom \ Mal\ Reynolds
1/29/14
Read Re: Is the Universe Made of Math? [Excerpt]
Maciej Woźniak
1/29/14
Read Re: Is the Universe Made of Math? [Excerpt]
The Starmaker
1/29/14
Read Re: Is the Universe Made of Math? [Excerpt]
Maciej Woźniak
1/29/14
Read Re: Is the Universe Made of Math? [Excerpt]
Brian Q. Hutchings
1/28/14
Read Re: Is the Universe Made of Math? [Excerpt]
Malcom \ Mal\ Reynolds
1/30/14
Read Re: Is the Universe Made of Math? [Excerpt]
jonathan
1/30/14
Read Re: Is the Universe Made of Math? [Excerpt]
Brian Q. Hutchings
1/31/14
Read Re: Is the Universe Made of Math? [Excerpt]
The Starmaker
1/31/14
Read Re: Is the Universe Made of Math? [Excerpt]
Brian Q. Hutchings
1/31/14
Read Re: Is the Universe Made of Math? [Excerpt]
The Starmaker
2/1/14
Read Re: Is the Universe Made of Math? [Excerpt]
The Starmaker
2/1/14
Read Re: Is the Universe Made of Math? [Excerpt]
The Starmaker
2/2/14
Read Re: Is the Universe Made of Math? [Excerpt]
jonathan
2/2/14
Read Re: Is the Universe Made of Math? [Excerpt]
J. Clarke
2/2/14
Read Re: Is the Universe Made of Math? [Excerpt]
jonathan
2/8/14
Read Re: Is the Universe Made of Math? [Excerpt]
William December Starr
2/8/14
Read Re: Is the Universe Made of Math? [Excerpt]
Brian Q. Hutchings
2/2/14
Read Re: Is the Universe Made of Math? [Excerpt]
The Starmaker
2/4/14
Read Re: Is the Universe Made of Math? [Excerpt]
The Starmaker
2/4/14
Read Re: Is the Universe Made of Math? [Excerpt]
The Starmaker
2/2/14
Read Re: Is the Universe Made of Math? [Excerpt]
Brian Q. Hutchings
2/4/14
Read Re: Is the Universe Made of Math? [Excerpt]
Graham Cooper
1/12/14
Read Re: Is the Universe Made of Math? [Excerpt]
richard miller
2/8/14
Read Re: Is the Universe Made of Math? [Excerpt]
byron
2/8/14
Read Re: Is the Universe Made of Math? [Excerpt]