Topic: math.stackexchange
Replies: 10   Last Post: Jan 31, 2014 6:12 AM

amzoti

Re: math.stackexchange

On Tuesday, January 28, 2014 11:58:26 PM UTC-8, William Elliot wrote:

> > > I use it everyday and it has been working without issue.
>
> > > Do you have browser security setting that stop you from using it?
>

> The problem was that it's very fussy about the tag and didn't bother
>
> to tell me until I accessed the site with an ascii browser.
>

> > > ALso note that MSE is not a newsgroup, unfortunately!
>

> It's a hot shot peice of junk.
>

> > But once you get used to the fact that it's a Q/A site and that
>
> > extended discussions are frowned upon (except in chat rooms), the
>
> > resulting high signal-to-noise ratio more than makes up for its limitations,
>

> The signal to noise ratio is much less when the ill designed
>
> user interface display, is taken into account. That anybody
>
> who disagrees with a post can change it is creepy. Normally
>
> a mistake would be pointed out instead of edited.

Compare the quality of posts there to what has happened to sci.math (which I loved).

The reputation system of auditing is not perfect, but it is very effective.

The typesetting is beautiful.

SO, as RD stated, it is a Q/A site and has a chat area for real-time discussions, but be warned that it is not a newsgroup.

I would love to see the re-emergence of a MSE quality math newsgroup as I find that to be a major flaw with their approach (makes it a high-class answer mill).