GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India
Registered: 9/29/05
Re: The Defiant Parents: Testing'
s Discontents – Response to Hunt

Richard Hake posted Feb 2, 2014 11:15 PM (http://mathforum.org/kb/thread.jspa?threadID=2617975):
> I transmitted the substance of this post to
<snip>

> In response, GS Chandy (2014) questioned the use of
> f the apostrophe in the word "SET's" claiming that
> "SET's" means "SET IS".
>
> Not so! According to Wikipedia's entry on
> n "Apostrophe " at <http://bit.ly/LDZAwy>:
>
> "USE IN FORMING CERTAIN PLURALS: An apostrophe is
> s used by some writers to form a plural for
> abbreviations, acronyms, and symbols where adding
> just "s" rather than " 's " may leave things
> ambiguous or inelegant."

Thank you for that. I've carefully read through the Wikipedia entry: it is something I had not earlier known. I must say that I'd always considered English to be a weird and rather wonderful (i.e. wacky, but nicely wacky) language whose wackiness I had adequately understood - and was able to 'use' to my own purposes as and when needed. Now it appears to be even more weird and probably much more wonderful than ever it was before - and I see that I've not understood its wackiness at all!!

I must state that I'm rather foncused by this usage of the apostrophe (serving to mark a plural), which I surely haven't understood at all... I shall study the article once again (or rather many times over again)! Hopefully, light will dawn some day...

Question (another issue): In that title No 7, had you meant to write "(Many) SETS {i.e. SET's, as plural} Are Not Valid Gauges of Students' Higher-Level Learning #2" ?

If so, I see that I need to re-read and better understand the article in question, as I still do not understand how "SET's" (pl) can be 'valid' or 'invalid' gauges of any "Student's Higher-Level Learning" - here (with "Student") I'm using the apostrophe in the 'conventional', i.e. 'apostrophic' way.

I believe I understood (or thought I had understood; though I'm less certain now in the correctness of that belief) how it could be contended that "TESTS (i.e. TEST, in plural) might justifiably be considered to be "invalid gauges of student understanding". I'm not at all clear as to how "SET's" (SETS, plural) could be considered to be 'gauges of student understanding'.

(Very) Foncusedly yours,
GSC