Topic: Masters of psycho-babble and edu-speak
Replies: 26   Last Post: Feb 22, 2014 8:04 AM

GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India
Registered: 9/29/05
Re: Masters of psycho-babble and edu-speak

Joe Niederberger posted Feb 11, 2014 10:12 PM (http://mathforum.org/kb/message.jspa?messageID=9383263):

> I think the babble mentioned here is generally
> symptomatic of the current age. It pervades almost
> all realms of professional life, except for the truly
> technical workers. Those workers tend to create
> their own babble called "jargon" but it is
> meaningful, amongst themselves. But as soon as one
> gets a level or two "above" the actual working group,
> amoeba words rule the day.
>
> Cheers,
> Joe N

Not necessarily "of the current age" only.

Nonsense is in fact of very 'ancient vintage' indeed. Check out:

- -- "Genesis" (The Holey Bubble);

- -- "The Flat Earth Society" - http://www.biblicalnonsense.com/chapter7.html

- -- "A Review of the Bible for Doubting Christians", by Dr Jason Long - http://www.biblicalnonsense.com/

- -- Phlyarology, the study of nonsense - http://pendantry.wordpress.com/2011/05/12/phlyarologist-a-definition/

- -- "Ancient Nonsense", by Sarah Chiarini - http://humanities.exeter.ac.uk/classics/research/projects/ancientnonsense/

In India, we have sizable numbers of people (some of them very reputable people) claiming that all our ancient myths are our literal history, that is, that we had nuclear power, lasers, starships, warp-drives and such wonders way back in the times of the Ramayana and the Mahabharata, etc., etc, etc.

There's plenty more available if you wish to explore "nonsense" in depth.

And then, there's "economics", that 'dismal non-science' (which is not quite 'nonsense', but 'getting there' (more often than not).

Of fairly recent vintage are the 'slogans' we have been seeing at Math-teach:

- -- "PUT THE EDUCATION MAFIA IN JAIL!" (Haim, who is alas no longer with us);

- -- "BLOW UP THE SCHOOLS OF EDUCATION!" (Wayne Bishop, who took up Reid Lyon's slogan as his life's work);

- -- "Children must be PUSHED or GOADED to learn math!" (and doubtless everything else) [Robert Hansen].

[Note: The above is not written with any intention of "poking (anyone) with a stick", but only to add to our storehouse of nonsense and, hopefully, even of wisdom, (perhaps)].

GSC

Date Subject Author
2/9/14
Read Masters of psycho-babble and edu-speak
Domenico Rosa
2/10/14
Read Re: Masters of psycho-babble and edu-speak
Robert Hansen
2/10/14
Read Re: Masters of psycho-babble and edu-speak
Domenico Rosa
2/11/14
Read Re: Masters of psycho-babble and edu-speak
Joe Niederberger
2/11/14
Read Re: Masters of psycho-babble and edu-speak
GS Chandy
2/11/14
Read Re: Masters of psycho-babble and edu-speak
Robert Hansen
2/12/14
Read Re: Masters of psycho-babble and edu-speak
GS Chandy
2/14/14
Read Re: Masters of psycho-babble and edu-speak
Joe Niederberger
2/15/14
Read Re: Masters of psycho-babble and edu-speak
GS Chandy
2/15/14
Read Re: Masters of psycho-babble and edu-speak
kirby urner
2/15/14
[...]
2/16/14
Read Re: Masters of psycho-babble and edu-speak
GS Chandy
2/16/14
Read Re: Masters of psycho-babble and edu-speak
GS Chandy
2/16/14
Read Re: Masters of psycho-babble and edu-speak
GS Chandy
2/16/14
Read Re: Masters of psycho-babble and edu-speak
GS Chandy
2/16/14
Read Re: Masters of psycho-babble and edu-speak
GS Chandy
2/16/14
Read Re: Masters of psycho-babble and edu-speak
kirby urner
2/16/14
Read Re: Masters of psycho-babble and edu-speak
GS Chandy
2/22/14