Topic: Masters of psycho-babble and edu-speak
Replies: 26   Last Post: Feb 22, 2014 8:04 AM

GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India
Registered: 9/29/05
Re: Masters of psycho-babble and edu-speak

Robert Hansen (RH) posted Feb 12, 2014 9:48 AM (http://mathforum.org/kb/message.jspa?messageID=9383565):

> None of what you listed is ?babble? in the context we
> are using the word. Joe is correct. The reason for
> the babble today is that everything is about politics
> and most political messages today would look
> downright stupid, unconstitutional and in some cases,
> even immoral, if stated plainly. One of the most
> precious lessons a young person can learn is that the
> world runs on politics and money, period. That
> realization alone can mean the difference between an
> actual life or just hanging on and sooner or later
> falling down a flight of stairs from which you never
> recover. There are forms of gobbledygook that only
> seem that way because the listener is not
> knowledgable in the subject area. Joe mentioned tech
> jargon. Another example is lawyer speak. But
> political gobbledygook is intentionally designed to
> hide the truth. I also point out much (WAY too much)
> education research follows this same pattern. The
> reason is simple. The world is about politics and
> money, period.
>
> Bob Hansen
>
> (RH): The world is about politics and money, period.

Partially, but not *entirely* true. (I.e., is it possible to develop ourselves so that we're able to escape this trap? I claim it is. Others claim it is not: let us see what we shall see).

The world is indeed a great deal about politics and money - far too much, by any reckoning.

However, I have seen instances of human behavior that were NOT necessarily about "politics and money, period".

E.g., a mother nurturing her child; plenty of other examples can be provided.

However, what is important is to learn how various factors in the whole system are connected: should we ever learn how to do that, we would be able to start designing the *effective* systems we need. These relationships between factors in complex systems are extremely difficult - perhaps even impossible - to understand via the conventional 'prose mode' of discourse.

You have - over the past several years - chosen to make some patently false allegations about OPMS and about GSC: what was all that about? What was the real need for you to come out with those lies? Did those lies serve you 'politically' or 'financially'? I believe not; but yet you did it!

It's also partially true that "WAY too much of
education research" is just babble and nonsense. For instance, the 'slogans' on which I have commented from time to time.

Slogans:
- -- "PUT THE EDUCATION MAFIA IN JAIL!" (Haim, who is alas no longer with us);

- -- "BLOW UP THE SCHOOLS OF EDUCATION!" (Wayne Bishop, taking inspiration from the slogan originally raised by Reid Lyon [Reading Research Expert]);

- -- "Children must be FORCED or GOADED to learn math!" (and, presumably, everything else) [Robert Hansen].

[I am NOT suggesting that the above are the ONLY babble and gobbledegook that rule the educational system].

However, it does seem almost entirely true that *effective* education could help rectify a good deal of the babble and nonsense that circumscribe vast portions of our lives - but it is also a fact that we also seem to have *chosen* not to do that needed rectification. ('We' means humanity at large, in particular those educated in and limited by the conventional educational systems).

Notwithstanding appearances to the contrary, many of these things are a matter of choice. It is true that 'lawyerspeak', 'politicalspeak', 'bureaucratspeak' (and the like) take control of our lives - and that they are designed to ensure that babble and gobbledegook overcome commonsense and sensible practice. So what do you plan to do to rectify any of this? More slogans?

I am fairly certain that - though I am all too aware that I've not been able to *prove* the following yet: given effective means of communication, we can certainly begin to 'make sense' of our world. If we learn to act effectively - IN TIME - it does not have to be that babble, gobbledegook, gibberish and nonsense will 'win the day'. This involves 'problem solving' - which demands a little learning and a fair bit of 'unlearning', alongside a good bit of 'truth-telling'.

GSC

Date Subject Author
2/9/14
Read Masters of psycho-babble and edu-speak
Domenico Rosa
2/10/14
Read Re: Masters of psycho-babble and edu-speak
Robert Hansen
2/10/14
Read Re: Masters of psycho-babble and edu-speak
Domenico Rosa
2/11/14
Read Re: Masters of psycho-babble and edu-speak
Joe Niederberger
2/11/14
Read Re: Masters of psycho-babble and edu-speak
GS Chandy
2/11/14
Read Re: Masters of psycho-babble and edu-speak
Robert Hansen
2/12/14
Read Re: Masters of psycho-babble and edu-speak
GS Chandy
2/14/14
Read Re: Masters of psycho-babble and edu-speak
Joe Niederberger
2/15/14
Read Re: Masters of psycho-babble and edu-speak
GS Chandy
2/15/14
Read Re: Masters of psycho-babble and edu-speak
kirby urner
2/15/14
[...]
2/16/14
Read Re: Masters of psycho-babble and edu-speak
GS Chandy
2/16/14
Read Re: Masters of psycho-babble and edu-speak
GS Chandy
2/16/14
Read Re: Masters of psycho-babble and edu-speak
GS Chandy
2/16/14
Read Re: Masters of psycho-babble and edu-speak
GS Chandy
2/16/14
Read Re: Masters of psycho-babble and edu-speak
GS Chandy
2/16/14
Read Re: Masters of psycho-babble and edu-speak
kirby urner
2/16/14
Read Re: Masters of psycho-babble and edu-speak
GS Chandy
2/22/14