Topic: hold question
Replies: 1   Last Post: Feb 11, 2014 2:24 AM

hmichel@cox.net

Re: hold question

Francisco:

Please look into a book on Calendrical Calculations by Edward Reingold,
Nachum Dershowitz

Some versions of their book also contains Mathematica code.

The following link is an excerpt see section 1.2 "Fixed Day Numbers"

http://assets.cambridge.org/97805218/85409/excerpt/9780521885409_excerpt.pdf
(Google Books [
http://books.google.com/books?id=5r_kSKE4OdYC&printsec=frontcover&source=gbs
_ge_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q&f=false ])

The book can be overkill for such just solving your issues; but you stated
that".. dates is always a pain ... in any language.."

Most computational language systems that I am aware of, when relating to
date time, use a similar method of fixing the date and time to a number.

A properly formatted date and/or time cell (or column) in Excel is really a
serialized date time in the back ground. So if you are always going to be
importing date columns in Excel you may choose to import the serialized
datetime.

See
http://mathematica.stackexchange.com/questions/527/is-it-possible-to-import-
dates-and-times-directly-as-absolutetime-and-by-pass-da

Hans