Replies: 0

Back to Topic List Back to Topic List
GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India

Robert Hansen (RH) posted Feb 11, 2014 6:08 PM (http://mathforum.org/kb/message.jspa?messageID=9383090):

> Bob
>
> On Feb 10, 2014, at 10:34 AM, Richard Strausz
> <Richard.Strausz@farmington.k12.mi.us> wrote:
>

> > This wasn't from Dan.
>
> But it was Dan?s three-act approach to evading the
> teaching of algebra being used, wasn?t it?
>

> > It is true that the internet is full of great
> > algebra problems. Would you suggest a few of them
> > that I might be able to use with my students?

> If we both agree that the internet is full of great
> algebra problems then finding internet problems isn?t
> the need, is it? Teaching teachers are to use the
> problems and prepare students for the problems is the
> need.
>
> Bob Hansen

I really don't know about what RH has described as "Dan's three-act approach to evading the teaching of algebra".

But we all do agree that the Internet is "full of algebra problems".

And - yes, "teaching teachers" (to) prepare their students for problem-solving is indeed the need: you've got that right, at least.

This could perhaps happen when those teachers understand that their real work is to ENCOURAGE the students to put their own problem-solving abilities effectively to work. It is not likely to happen if the teachers (and/or the students' parents) believe that their prime responsibility is to PUSH them or GOAD them into learning math: this is part of what I'd describe as a 'feudal mindset to teaching'.

As to how that urge to PUSH or GOAD oneself is to develop in students, we only know that it must come from within the students themselves. PUSHING or GOADING by teachers or parents may work just about as effectively as did the Nazis PUSHING and GOADING their Jewish prisoners - but that is not, I believe, what an *effective* educational system should be seeking.

(Yes, indeed, children often do have a lot of respect and love for their parents - and that love and respect may well stimulate them to accept some PUSHING or GOADING: this is emphatically NOT the 'right' way to help develop their own problem-solving capabilities).

GSC

Message was edited by: GS Chandy