Replies: 1   Last Post: Feb 15, 2014 9:22 AM

Richard Strausz

> Bob
>
> On Feb 10, 2014, at 10:34 AM, Richard Strausz
> <Richard.Strausz@farmington.k12.mi.us> wrote:
>

> > This wasn't from Dan.
>
> But it was Dan?s three-act approach to evading the
> teaching of algebra being used, wasn?t it?
>

> > It is true that the internet is full of great
> algebra problems. Would you suggest a few of them
> that I might be able to use with my students?
>
> If we both agree that the internet is full of great
> algebra problems then finding internet problems isn?t
> the need, is it? Teaching teachers are to use the
> problems and prepare students for the problems is the
> need.
>
> Bob Hansen

Here is an example of a great introductory technique that I could see taking 5 minutes to introduce the idea of coordinates of points. It is an easy topic to teach, but this is a elegant way to let students see why naming points is important.

http://blog.mrmeyer.com/2014/pick-a-point/

Richard