Topic: What math textbooks are "CS-friendly": criteria?
Replies: 206   Last Post: Mar 10, 2014 2:49 PM

Gary Tupper

Re: What math textbooks are "CS-friendly": criteria?

On 2/22/2014 1:09 AM, Robert Hansen wrote:
> On Feb 22, 2014, at 1:29 AM, Louis Talman <talmanl@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> The two of you need to understand that you are arguing about the formalizations---not about the underlying concepts. The programmers' function is an implementation of the mathematician's function---and neither of them is likely to think much about the formalization. (Kemeny makes this point, too, at least for mathematicians.)
>
> Interesting tidbits from the Kemeny paper?
>
> ?The first thing that we can all do is to give the students a good book to read. An able high school student is old enough to read books. There are many books on the market that can be given to a student. SMSG is undertaking a major effort to turn out special pamphlets and monographs for just this type of use in high school, and other groups are doing the same.?
>
> Kind of makes you sad.
>
> Also?
>
> ?I saw a list compiled recently (by Mu Alpha Theta, Box 1155, University of Oklahoma, Norman, Oklahoma) that tried to prove that for $180 you can build up a superb high school mathematics collection.?
>
> $180 in 1961? The average salary in 1961 was $5,315 or $102 a week. That must have been one hell of a collection of books, or, the relative price of books then was more than now.
>
> I know the price of academic articles wasn?t more then. This cost me $15. Damn JSTOR.
>
> Bob Hansen

Possibly off-topic, but I once came upon the statement to the effect
that you can understand a process by studying it; or better yet by
explaining it to someone else - or even better yet by explaining it to a
machine via programming.

Gary Tupper
Terrace BC

Date Subject Author
2/19/14
Read What math textbooks are "CS-friendly": criteria?
kirby urner
2/19/14
Read Re: What math textbooks are "CS-friendly": criteria?
kirby urner
2/19/14
Read Re: What math textbooks are "CS-friendly": criteria?
Robert Hansen
2/19/14
Read Re: What math textbooks are "CS-friendly": criteria?
kirby urner
2/19/14
Read Re: What math textbooks are "CS-friendly": criteria?
Robert Hansen
2/20/14
Read Re: What math textbooks are "CS-friendly": criteria?
kirby urner
2/19/14
Read Re: What math textbooks are "CS-friendly": criteria?
Robert Hansen
2/20/14
Read Re: What math textbooks are "CS-friendly": criteria?
Robert Hansen
2/20/14
Read Re: What math textbooks are "CS-friendly": criteria?
kirby urner
2/20/14
Read Re: What math textbooks are "CS-friendly": criteria?
Robert Hansen
2/20/14
Read Re: What math textbooks are "CS-friendly": criteria?
kirby urner
2/21/14
Read Re: What math textbooks are "CS-friendly": criteria?
Robert Hansen
2/21/14
Read Re: What math textbooks are "CS-friendly": criteria?
kirby urner
2/21/14
Read Re: What math textbooks are "CS-friendly": criteria?
Robert Hansen
2/22/14
Read Re: What math textbooks are "CS-friendly": criteria?
kirby urner
2/22/14
Read Re: What math textbooks are "CS-friendly": criteria?
Greg Goodknight
2/22/14
Read Re: What math textbooks are "CS-friendly": criteria?
kirby urner
2/22/14
Read Re: What math textbooks are "CS-friendly": criteria?
Robert Hansen
2/22/14
Read Re: What math textbooks are "CS-friendly": criteria?
Robert Hansen
2/22/14
Read Re: What math textbooks are "CS-friendly": criteria?
kirby urner
2/22/14
Read Re: What math textbooks are "CS-friendly": criteria?
Robert Hansen
2/22/14
Read Re: What math textbooks are "CS-friendly": criteria?
kirby urner
3/5/14
[...]
3/10/14
Read Re: What math textbooks are "CS-friendly": criteria?
Louis Talman
3/10/14
Read Re: What math textbooks are "CS-friendly": criteria?
kirby urner
2/20/14
Read Re: What math textbooks are "CS-friendly": criteria?
Joe Niederberger
2/20/14
[...]
2/23/14
[...]
GS Chandy
2/22/14
Read Re: What math textbooks are "CS-friendly": criteria?
Joe Niederberger
2/22/14
Read Re: What math textbooks are "CS-friendly": criteria?
kirby urner
2/23/14
Read Re: What math textbooks are "CS-friendly": criteria?
Robert Hansen
2/23/14
Read Re: What math textbooks are "CS-friendly": criteria?
Louis Talman
2/23/14
Read Re: What math textbooks are "CS-friendly": criteria?
Robert Hansen
2/24/14
[...]
Dave L. Renfro
2/24/14
Read Re: What math textbooks are "CS-friendly": criteria?
kirby urner
2/24/14
Read Re: What math textbooks are "CS-friendly": criteria?
kirby urner
2/24/14
Read Re: What math textbooks are "CS-friendly": criteria?
Robert Hansen
2/24/14
Read Re: What math textbooks are "CS-friendly": criteria?
Robert Hansen
2/24/14
Read Re: What math textbooks are "CS-friendly": criteria?
kirby urner
2/25/14
Read Re: What math textbooks are "CS-friendly": criteria?
Robert Hansen
2/25/14
Read Re: What math textbooks are "CS-friendly": criteria?
kirby urner
2/26/14
[...]
2/28/14
[...]
2/27/14
[...]
3/1/14
[...]
3/3/14
Read Re: What math textbooks are "CS-friendly": criteria?
Dave L. Renfro
3/3/14
Read Re: What math textbooks are "CS-friendly": criteria?
Joe Niederberger
3/7/14
Read Re: What math textbooks are "CS-friendly": criteria?
GS Chandy
3/7/14
Read Re: What math textbooks are "CS-friendly": criteria?
GS Chandy
3/7/14
Read Re: What math textbooks are "CS-friendly": criteria?
GS Chandy
3/9/14