Topic: What math textbooks are "CS-friendly": criteria?
Replies: 206   Last Post: Mar 10, 2014 2:49 PM

kirby urner

Re: What math textbooks are "CS-friendly": criteria?
att1.html (1.7 K)

On Wed, Feb 26, 2014 at 5:20 PM, Robert Hansen <bob@rsccore.com> wrote:

> On Feb 26, 2014, at 6:49 PM, Greg Goodknight <good@nccn.net> wrote:
>

> > There are better venues than math-teach for that discussion.
>
> With all due respect, the key argument here has been "Does teaching
> children how to program, teach them mathematics?" I realize that other than
> Kirby, the opinion seems to be unanimously "No". But a discussion/argument
> as to why seems to be on topic.
>
> Bob Hansen

Your responses are inconsistent as elsewhere in the thread it was that
programming *could* help with the math-learning, just you hadn't been able
to come up with quite the right language yet. You'd been working on it.

You said your new language might be very like Python, but minus the objects
(by which you meant "dot notation").

I have argued instead, by effective example, that "dot notation" is a legit
math notation used by many ethnicities around the world, including
corporate-global ones who worry about their future peers, and the garbage
"math" educations they're currently getting at the hands of CS-unfriendly
Luddites posing as know-it-alls.

Kirby

Date Subject Author
2/19/14
Read What math textbooks are "CS-friendly": criteria?
kirby urner
2/19/14
Read Re: What math textbooks are "CS-friendly": criteria?
kirby urner
2/19/14
Read Re: What math textbooks are "CS-friendly": criteria?
Robert Hansen
2/19/14
Read Re: What math textbooks are "CS-friendly": criteria?
kirby urner
2/19/14
Read Re: What math textbooks are "CS-friendly": criteria?
Robert Hansen
2/20/14
Read Re: What math textbooks are "CS-friendly": criteria?
kirby urner
2/19/14
Read Re: What math textbooks are "CS-friendly": criteria?
Robert Hansen
2/20/14
Read Re: What math textbooks are "CS-friendly": criteria?
Robert Hansen
2/20/14
Read Re: What math textbooks are "CS-friendly": criteria?
kirby urner
2/20/14
Read Re: What math textbooks are "CS-friendly": criteria?
Robert Hansen
2/20/14
Read Re: What math textbooks are "CS-friendly": criteria?
kirby urner
2/21/14
Read Re: What math textbooks are "CS-friendly": criteria?
Robert Hansen
2/21/14
Read Re: What math textbooks are "CS-friendly": criteria?
kirby urner
2/21/14
Read Re: What math textbooks are "CS-friendly": criteria?
Robert Hansen
2/22/14
Read Re: What math textbooks are "CS-friendly": criteria?
kirby urner
2/22/14
Read Re: What math textbooks are "CS-friendly": criteria?
Greg Goodknight
2/22/14
Read Re: What math textbooks are "CS-friendly": criteria?
kirby urner
2/22/14
Read Re: What math textbooks are "CS-friendly": criteria?
Robert Hansen
2/22/14
Read Re: What math textbooks are "CS-friendly": criteria?
Robert Hansen
2/22/14
Read Re: What math textbooks are "CS-friendly": criteria?
kirby urner
2/22/14
Read Re: What math textbooks are "CS-friendly": criteria?
Robert Hansen
2/22/14
Read Re: What math textbooks are "CS-friendly": criteria?
kirby urner
3/5/14
[...]
3/10/14
Read Re: What math textbooks are "CS-friendly": criteria?
Louis Talman
3/10/14
Read Re: What math textbooks are "CS-friendly": criteria?
kirby urner
2/20/14
Read Re: What math textbooks are "CS-friendly": criteria?
Joe Niederberger
2/20/14
[...]
Gary Tupper
2/22/14
[...]
2/23/14
[...]
GS Chandy
2/22/14
Read Re: What math textbooks are "CS-friendly": criteria?
Joe Niederberger
2/22/14
Read Re: What math textbooks are "CS-friendly": criteria?
kirby urner
2/23/14
Read Re: What math textbooks are "CS-friendly": criteria?
Robert Hansen
2/23/14
Read Re: What math textbooks are "CS-friendly": criteria?
Louis Talman
2/23/14
Read Re: What math textbooks are "CS-friendly": criteria?
Robert Hansen
2/24/14
[...]
Dave L. Renfro
2/24/14
Read Re: What math textbooks are "CS-friendly": criteria?
kirby urner
2/24/14
Read Re: What math textbooks are "CS-friendly": criteria?
kirby urner
2/24/14
Read Re: What math textbooks are "CS-friendly": criteria?
Robert Hansen
2/24/14
Read Re: What math textbooks are "CS-friendly": criteria?
Robert Hansen
2/24/14
Read Re: What math textbooks are "CS-friendly": criteria?
kirby urner
2/25/14
Read Re: What math textbooks are "CS-friendly": criteria?
Robert Hansen
2/25/14
Read Re: What math textbooks are "CS-friendly": criteria?
kirby urner
2/26/14
[...]
2/28/14
[...]
2/27/14
[...]
3/1/14
[...]
3/3/14
Read Re: What math textbooks are "CS-friendly": criteria?
Dave L. Renfro
3/3/14
Read Re: What math textbooks are "CS-friendly": criteria?
Joe Niederberger
3/7/14
Read Re: What math textbooks are "CS-friendly": criteria?
GS Chandy
3/7/14
Read Re: What math textbooks are "CS-friendly": criteria?
GS Chandy
3/7/14
Read Re: What math textbooks are "CS-friendly": criteria?
GS Chandy
3/9/14