Topic: 'STEM' --> 'STEAM': Kirby's idea gaining ground?
Replies: 16   Last Post: Feb 27, 2014 3:50 AM

kirby urner

Re: 'STEM' --> 'STEAM': Kirby's idea gaining ground?
att1.html (2.1 K)

On Wed, Feb 26, 2014 at 3:35 PM, Greg Goodknight <good@nccn.net> wrote:

> On 02/26/2014 03:13 PM, kirby urner wrote:
>

>> But I'll work to remain open minded.
>>

> Try first working to *become* open minded. Maybe learn more about the
> mathematics expected of freshmen in any decent university catering to the
> sciences you didn't bother to take at Princeton.

I'll let the jury (readers) decide which of us is the unimaginative
guardian of a failed status quo.

>> Mr. Hansen has already confessed in public, earlier in this
>> thread, gazillions of well-paid service workers in IT don't
>> branch off from precalc-calc, they branch from algebra.
>>

> The function (just to overload the word du jour) of K-12 is not that of a
> trade school, and few parents of a bright 8th grader would put their child
> in an algebra class bearing the warning "this algebra class is on a track
> which does not lead to the math required for university study of math,
> physics, chemistry or engineering, and is intended for shallow polymaths
> who do not wish a deep understanding of those subjects in order to dabble
> in IT as their life's work".
>
> -Greg

"Deep understanding" my foot.

Kirby