Topic: Structured Programming
Replies: 69   Last Post: Mar 7, 2014 7:18 PM

kirby urner

Re: Structured Programming
att1.html (4.3 K)

As I mentioned in a recent thread, the Object Oriented way of programming
may be regarded as arising from the same motives as Structured
Programming:
to streamline code while making it more readable, reusable and reliable.

If a machine algorithm is able to prove a program was mathematically
correct
in some way, so much the better. FP aims to do better that OOP in that
regard.

"""
Structured Programming was an early attempt to get untangled, or less
tangled.

OO is sometimes cast as a follow-on wave with similar goals, though the
rhetoric was different, more about how natural it was to think in terms of
objects, since we do it anyway, with or without a computer.
"""
Me: http://mathforum.org/kb/message.jspa?messageID=9398757

Related:

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/The_Computer_Revolution/Programming/Object_Oriented_vs._Structured_programming

Per the ALGOL Conclusions paper (link below), the abstractions of
"block" and "compound statement" got formalized with that ALGOL 60
"report".

With LISP and Scheme, the core formal concept was/is the "S-expression".
An S-expression

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Lisp_Programming/Introduction
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S-expression

I'd say the mathematical concept of "a function" plays a similar integrating
role in helping us think more reliably in mathematical terms.

Although at first one might think inputs and outputs have to be "single
variables", in fact any combination of inputs may be thought of as a
"single variable", just as what's returned may be a grab bag of interesting
objects within a single object -- and yet it's not a relation and f(x) -->
notation still applies.

http://youtu.be/5T636Be6snM (math cartoon re multi-variable functions)

Consider the Mandelbrot set: values on the complex plane that
converge for z = z**2 + C: a function that feeds back into itself,
starting with z = 0 + 0j and C = some point. M(x, y) -> color is a
function in the mathematical sense, and it may be programmed.
The color is pegged to the resulting number's absolute value
(its magnitude). Divergent values spiral out, but at varying rates,
which informs color choices.

I've been showing simple fractal code in Python over on edu-sig, a
Python community list:

https://mail.python.org/pipermail/edu-sig/2014-March/010948.html
https://mail.python.org/pipermail/edu-sig/2014-March/010949.html

Related reading:

http://mybizmo.blogspot.com/2006/09/focal-points.html

Kirby

On Sun, Mar 2, 2014 at 11:57 AM, Joe Niederberger
<niederberger@comcast.net>wrote:

> The Important Contributions by the ALGOL Effort:
> http://heerdebeer.org/ALGOL/conclusion.html
>
> "ALGOL became founded on a theoretical basis of formal languages. Soon
> research on formal languages, including programming languages, and on the
> connection with other mathematical theories like automata theory was
> started."
>
> cheers,
> Joe N

Date Subject Author
[...]
[...]