Topic: What's in an expression?
Replies: 8   Last Post: Mar 15, 2014 3:54 AM

Bob Hanlon

Re: What's in an expression?

Assuming that answers are entered as strings; to exclude derivatives but
allow other alternative forms:

verifySolution[proposed_, actual_, cond_: {}] :=
StringFreeQ[proposed, {"Derivative", "'", "D["}] &&
Simplify[ToExpression[proposed] == actual, cond]

answers = {"Sin'[x]", "Derivative[1][Sin][x]",
"D[Sin[x],x]", "Cos[x]", "Sin[x]/Tan[x]"};

ToExpression /@ answers // Union

{Cos[x]}

verifySolution[#, Cos[x]] & /@ answers

{False, False, False, True, True}

If the answer must be literally the same as the intended answer:

verifySolution2[proposed_, actual_] :=
SameQ @@ (StringTrim /@ {proposed, actual})

verifySolution2[#, "Cos[x]"] & /@ answers

{False, False, False, True, False}