Topic: How to motivate my research?
Replies: 19   Last Post: Mar 30, 2014 11:34 AM

Rock Brentwood

Re: How to motivate my research?

On Saturday, March 15, 2014 11:59:26 AM UTC-5, dull...@sprynet.com wrote:
> No. Doing research first and then looking for motivation is what's
> putting the cart ahead of the horse.

There are two kinds of people in the world: those who get fat and lazy of mind because they want things that are familiar and want machines to do all the physical work for them; and those who remain strong and vibrant because they ever seek different ways to do the same thing.

In physical training, we call this "switching up the routine". So, the mere fact that a notation is different is a reason FOR not AGAINST! Because you should never be settling into the comfort zone of seeing and doing the same things the same way or the comfort zone of the familiar. That's the golden route to cognitive rigor mortis and senility.

(Which is why it's only old and older people adopting the conservative stance of "keep it my way, and the burden is on *you* to explain why I should change my ways". The mere utterance is a symptom of oncoming senility)

What's important is seeing everything in as many ways as you can, regardless of "motivation" (i.e. "old people's inertia") The more the better. That's switching up your routine.

Motivation is irrelevant. Diversity of expression is not the means to any end. It's the end of all means!