Topic: standard floating point arithmetic in Mathematica?
Replies: 6   Last Post: Mar 30, 2014 4:42 AM

Richard Fateman

Re: standard floating point arithmetic in Mathematica?

On 3/27/2014 2:00 AM, Alan wrote:
> I would like to illustrate some limitations with floating point
> calculations. Can I force Mathematica to do floating point
> computations at a standard float size and the display the full
> results (as the same size float)?
>
> E.g., if I enter 0.1+0.2 I would like to see 0.30000000000000004
>
> Thanks, Alan Isaac

If you are looking at the IEEE 754 binary standard, you would
probably be better off looking at the hexadecimal representation
because the decimal conversion adds complications and
sometimes mystery.

There is (or used to be) a floating point calculator online
that provided these operations. I can't spot it right now, but it
provided single/double hex/binary/decimal add/mult etc.

It seems to me that Mathematica had some kind of package to extract
fraction/exponent etc from IEEE numbers, and I expected someone
to point this out.