Topic: Combinatorica versus new graphs in V8
Replies: 4   Last Post: Mar 28, 2014 3:32 AM

Murray Eisenberg

Re: Combinatorica versus new graphs in V8

I believe there's NO way to implement multiple edges in a
System`Graph object. In fact, you undoubtedly saw, when you tried, the error message:

Graph::supp: Mixed graphs and multigraphs are not supported.

Moving the functionality of the graph-theoretic functions from the Combinatorica add-on to the kernel has been a slow process over several versions of Mathematica and evidently is not yet complete.

We can only hope that the next version of Mathematica, already documented in preliminary form at

http://reference.wolfram.com/language/

will allow multiple edges at long last.

On Mar 26, 2014, at 3:23 AM, E. Martin-Serrano <eMartinSerrano@telefonica.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am unable to see how to implement multi edge graphs for pairs of vertices
> in V8.
>
> With the =91Combinatorica=92 package this was easy to do as in
>
> << Combinatorica`
>
> g = Combinatorica`Graph[{{{1, 2}}, {{2, 3}}, {{2, 3}}, {{2, 3}} , {{2, 3}}},
> {{{0, 0}}, {{1, 1}}, {{2, 0}}}]
>
> ShowGraph[g]
>
> Here I have three =91{2,3}=92 concurrent edges for the vertices pair {2,3}
>
> The following should be equivalent for the V8 kernel implementation of
> graphs
>
> System`Graph[{UndirectedEdge[1,2], UndirectedEdge[2,3], UndirectedEdge[2,3],
> UndirectedEdge[2,3], UndirectedEdge[2,3]},
>
> VertexCoordinates -> {{0, 0}, {1, 1}, {2, 0}}]
>
> But the multiple edges feature does not work in the way it did in
> =91Combinatorica=92 (It does not work in any way).
>
> Please, could anyone say what I am missing here?
>

> E. Martin

> virus transmitted.
>
> Este mensaje y los ficheros adjuntos pueden contener informaci=F3n
> confidencial destinada solamente a la(s) persona(s) mencionadas
> anteriormente y su contenido puede estar protegido por secreto profesional y
> en cualquier caso el mensaje en su totalidad est=E1 amparado y protegido por
> la legislaci=F3n vigente que preserva el secreto de las comunicaciones, y por
> la legislaci=F3n de protecci=F3n de datos de car=E1cter personal. Si usted recibe
> este correo electr=F3nico por error, gracias por informar inmediatamente al
> remitente y destruir el mensaje. Al no estar asegurada la integridad de este
> mensaje sobre la red, el remitente no se hace responsable por su contenido.
> Su contenido no constituye ning=FAn compromiso para el remitente, salvo
> ratificaci=F3n escrita por ambas partes. Aunque se esfuerza al m=E1ximo por
> mantener su red libre de virus, el emisor no puede garantizar nada al
> respecto y no ser=E1 responsable de cualesquiera da=F1os que puedan resultar de
> una transmisi=F3n de virus.

Murray Eisenberg murray@math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
University of Massachusetts