Topic: Combinatorica versus new graphs in V8
Replies: 4   Last Post: Mar 28, 2014 3:32 AM

Murray Eisenberg

Re: Combinatorica versus new graphs in V8

I believe there's NO way to implement multiple edges in a
System`Graph object. In fact, you undoubtedly saw, when you tried, the error message:

Graph::supp: Mixed graphs and multigraphs are not supported.

Moving the functionality of the graph-theoretic functions from the Combinatorica add-on to the kernel has been a slow process over several versions of Mathematica and evidently is not yet complete.

We can only hope that the next version of Mathematica, already documented in preliminary form at

will allow multiple edges at long last.

On Mar 26, 2014, at 3:23 AM, E. Martin-Serrano <eMartinSerrano@telefonica.net> wrote:

> Hi,
> I am unable to see how to implement multi edge graphs for pairs of vertices
> in V8.
> With the =91Combinatorica=92 package this was easy to do as in
> << Combinatorica`
> g = Combinatorica`Graph[{{{1, 2}}, {{2, 3}}, {{2, 3}}, {{2, 3}} , {{2, 3}}},
> {{{0, 0}}, {{1, 1}}, {{2, 0}}}]
> ShowGraph[g]
> Here I have three =91{2,3}=92 concurrent edges for the vertices pair {2,3}
> The following should be equivalent for the V8 kernel implementation of
> graphs
> System`Graph[{UndirectedEdge[1,2], UndirectedEdge[2,3], UndirectedEdge[2,3],
> UndirectedEdge[2,3], UndirectedEdge[2,3]},
> VertexCoordinates -> {{0, 0}, {1, 1}, {2, 0}}]
> But the multiple edges feature does not work in the way it did in
> =91Combinatorica=92 (It does not work in any way).
> Please, could anyone say what I am missing here?
> E. Martin
> virus transmitted.
> Este mensaje y los ficheros adjuntos pueden contener informaci=F3n
> confidencial destinada solamente a la(s) persona(s) mencionadas
> anteriormente y su contenido puede estar protegido por secreto profesional y
> en cualquier caso el mensaje en su totalidad est=E1 amparado y protegido por
> la legislaci=F3n vigente que preserva el secreto de las comunicaciones, y por
> la legislaci=F3n de protecci=F3n de datos de car=E1cter personal. Si usted recibe
> este correo electr=F3nico por error, gracias por informar inmediatamente al
> remitente y destruir el mensaje. Al no estar asegurada la integridad de este
> mensaje sobre la red, el remitente no se hace responsable por su contenido.
> Su contenido no constituye ning=FAn compromiso para el remitente, salvo
> ratificaci=F3n escrita por ambas partes. Aunque se esfuerza al m=E1ximo por
> mantener su red libre de virus, el emisor no puede garantizar nada al
> respecto y no ser=E1 responsable de cualesquiera da=F1os que puedan resultar de
> una transmisi=F3n de virus.

Murray Eisenberg murray@math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
University of Massachusetts