Topic: Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
Replies: 0

Back to Topic List Back to Topic List
Domenico Rosa

On 27 Mar 2014, GS Chandy wrote:

> Joe Niederberger (JN) posted Mar 26, 2014 :
> >
> > >Yakking more about a TOE and "natural laws":
> >
> > (JN) Really? I thought I was addressing the fact
> > that many people feel something is missing from the
> > world described by science. Or was that just a lead
> > in to what you said next?
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Joe N
> >

> There is (IMHO) plenty missing from the "world
> described by science". And, in my opinion, there
> will always be plenty missing - because every
> 'answer' raises more questions to which we would need
> to seek answers. But that is just the nature of
> f scientific inquiry - and we should celebrate it.
> (As I understand it, this implies that there can
> never be a 'real TOE').
>
> There is (IMHO) plenty more missing from the "world
> described by religion" than that from "world
> described by science".

The Philosopher-Emperor Julian, a nephew of Constantine, discusses "the universal yearning for the divine that is in all" of us in "Against the Galilaeans":

http://www.tertullian.org/fathers/julian_apostate_galileans_0_intro.htm

Julian presented some fascinating critiques of the religion of the Hebrews and of the sect of Galileans (Christians), and promoted the superior religion of the Hellenes (Greek Philosophy).

Julian had been force-fed the "orthodox" Christian dogmas and foresaw the resulting intolerance and disasters that would follow.