Topic: Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
Replies: 0

Back to Topic List Back to Topic List
GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India

Responding to Kirby Urner's dt. Mar 28, 2014 8:35 PM (http://mathforum.org/kb/message.jspa?messageID=9421423):

<snipped all except what I'm responding to>

> I'm just saying religions do lot more than give
> comfort. Quakers have a
> lobby office in DC for example. Religions lobby.

Agreed - religion does offer much more than "comfort". I do hope I had not claimed that it offers ONLY comfort!!??

> I read some anthropology about Kerala suggesting high
> literacy and a
> willingness to talk everything though led to
> optimized solutions that went
> a lot further to solving problems than hasty "rtthrow
> money at it" solutions
> of more wasteful peoples / governments. Kerala has
> good stats (infant
> mortality low etc.), or did at the time.

(Kerala is my 'home state', though my family has now lived, for several generations now, here in what is now Karnataka). Indeed, Kerala still does have the best stats in India for education; women education; lowest infant mortality; literacy; etc, etc.

It all started, I understand, with the arrival of St. Thomas the Apostle ('Doubting Thomas') and a small group a few years after the crucifixion of Jesus. The local king welcomed them, gave them land, etc, and they started what is the "Orthodox Syrian Church". Education was a priority for that Christian group - and they worked to spread education quite considerably throughout that southern part of India - and that advantage of a couple of millennia ago persists today in Kerala population.

Though I'm entirely 'a-religious' - for a whole number of reasons - I do belong to that very 'Syrian Christian' community. [Of course, there has been plenty of 'admixture' with local populations, traders from the M-E and Africa who used to visit that coast, etc, etc]. By the way, some parts of those Church services are still conducted in the ancient language (Aramaic?). I don't myself attend Church any more (since decades and decades), so am entirely unfamiliar with what goes on there these days.

And I must say that I am still very happy (and proud) that my community has had so much to do with the educational 'systems' of that time, which benefits the state (as well as the nation as a whole) even today. A trip to Bihar (for instance) provides us convincing evidence that developing a sound educational system is a hugely difficult venture. Today's advantage that Kerala enjoys seems to be the 'fortuitous' result of a good deed done by a wise ruler nearly 2000 years ago!!

AND, there's little doubt about it, my own personal interest in education must derive from my understanding of what education has done for my community and other communities over these millennia.

> > I saw some (most?) of it - but did not 'get it': it
> seems to start out
> > with some tricky visuals and goes into an
> advertisement for an (Indian)
> > product called 'Sun Silk' - doubtless this is some
> 'advertising war' that's
> > going on behind the scenes!! I shall give it
> another try in due course.
> >
> Strange, sounds like a different video.
>
> The one I saw was 2 mins 49 secs using stock footage
> with the narrator
> reminding us the cliches used by advertisers.
> Nothing about 'Sun Silk'.

I shall look at it again in due course. I am MOST interested in learning about perspectives on those 'advertising cliches' - as that was what I used to deal with professionally at one time!!

Best
GSC