Topic: Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
Replies: 0

Back to Topic List Back to Topic List
Domenico Rosa

On 28 Mar 2014, GS Chandy wrote:

> (Kerala is my 'home state', though my family has now
> lived, for several generations now, here in what is
> now Karnataka). Indeed, Kerala still does have the
> best stats in India for education; women education;
> lowest infant mortality; literacy; etc, etc.
>
> It all started, I understand, with the arrival of St.
> Thomas the Apostle ('Doubting Thomas') and a small
> group a few years after the crucifixion of Jesus.
> The local king welcomed them, gave them land, etc,
> , and they started what is the "Orthodox Syrian
> Church". Education was a priority for that Christian
> group - and they worked to spread education quite
> considerably throughout that southern part of India -
> and that advantage of a couple of millennia ago
> persists today in Kerala population.
>
> Though I'm entirely 'a-religious' - for a whole
> number of reasons - I do belong to that very 'Syrian
> Christian' community. [Of course, there has been
> plenty of 'admixture' with local populations, traders
> from the M-E and Africa who used to visit that coast,
> etc, etc]. By the way, some parts of those Church
> services are still conducted in the ancient language
> (Aramaic?). I don't myself attend Church any more
> (since decades and decades), so am entirely
> unfamiliar with what goes on there these days.

You may be interested in the video about the Arameans and the Syriac Orthodox Church, among the earliest converts to Christianity, at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PLsZf5y8hU

Around minute 30, the video shows a cave (the Cave Church of Saint Peter) in Antioch where the early Christians met. According to the narrator, the cave belonged to Luke who was a native of Antioch.