Topic: Re: How science shaped modern 'rejection of religion'
Replies: 0

Back to Topic List Back to Topic List
GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India

Joe N. posted Mar 29, 2014 5:35 AM (http://mathforum.org/kb/thread.jspa?threadID=2626131) - GSC's remarks interspersed:

> >So tell me: when did you ever see me "bash religion
> only"?
>
> I finally got you to state your "real gripe" (after
> misconstruing it) and here's what you said in total:

Had I misconstrued anything you had stated, or had I 'misconstructed' anything I had stated? If either of the above is the case, my sincere apologies.

> (GS Chandy:)
> "You are entirely wrong in your claim that my "real
> gripe is with established churches wedded to
> political power". My real gripe is actually that the
> 'religious endeavour' so willingly permits itself to
> be used by the political power. THAT is, IMHO, a
> major 'sin'. I've always felt that a major 'aim' of
> religion was to rescue us poor humans from sin.
> (However, I must observe that, in India, the
> 'religious endeavour' is often speaking out strongly
> against the misuse of 'state power' against the
> people - sometimes at considerable cost to those
> speaking out))
>
> So, I see your "real gripe" is about religion
> somehow. Its that simple, I took you at your word.

You are (IMHO) still mistaken. I have an 'equal gripe' about all the 'power centres' and 'power structures' that today rule our societies - religion's power has been significantly diminished over the past couple of centuries. If my "equal gripe" appears to something excessive, well, it should not be impossible to hang me for 'maoist insurgency' (or something of the sort).

> I even suggested you might broaden your aim, given
> coercion is hardly a monopoly of the RC Church, but
> that's all you said about your real gripe.
>

> Cheers.
> Joe N

I had NEVER claimed that "coercion is a monopoly of the RC Church" - though I must observe that it has done more than its fair share of it in the past.

May I suggest that you too might try to "broaden your aim", by working just a bit to understand 'systems' and how to cope with them, rectify deficiencies as required and so on and so forth.

You have quite recently stated something about 'systems' in one of your recent posts. If I have not misconstrued what you had stated, you do not understand systems - at least not in the way I suggest is essential to make for real change in those systems in society.

GSC

Message was edited by: GS Chandy