Topic: Re: all of math is just addition and multiplication
Replies: 1   Last Post: Apr 10, 2014 6:22 PM

Donald Sauter

From: Dover, Delaware
Registered: 6/3/13
Re: all of math is just addition and multiplication

My first "All of math is just addition and multiplication" post generated some bemusement and consternation. Perhaps I should have said there are just two tools in the mathematician's toolbox - addition and multiplication. (Counting is a given.) If you take a close look at the individual steps your brain takes in solving a math problem, you will find there is nothing beyond basic addition and multiplication.

Of course, I'm using "math" in the ordinary sense of the number-y, mainstream math, from counting up through calculus and beyond.

Somewhere in the thread I issued a challenge to shoot me down with some problem taken from a math textbook.

No one accepted the challenge, so I ask again, show me a problem from a math textbook that involves more than basic steps in the brain of addition and multiplication.

http://www.donaldsauter.com/all-of-math.htm

Donald Sauter