Topic: Re: "According To A Nasa Funded Study, We're Pretty Much Screwed"
Replies: 0

Back to Topic List Back to Topic List
GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India
Registered: 9/29/05
Re: "According To A Nasa Funded Study, We're Pretty Much Screwed"

Wayne Bishop posted Apr 11, 2014 8:01 PM (http://mathforum.org/kb/message.jspa?messageID=9432866)- GSC's remarks follow:

> Along with Dewey-based education philosophy and
> resulting curricula
> and pedagogy (to bring it back to Math-Teach), it's a
> matter of
> religion, not science; East Anglia proved that.
> Arguing with true
> believers can be great fun - sort of like buying a
> national Powerball
> number as opposed to upping your mortgage to buy lots
> of tickets to
> pay off the mortgage that was already beyond your
> means - think in
> terms of Christianity versus Islam or, subdivisions
> within Islam
> itself or just as well, Christianity. Buy a few
> lottery tickets
> instead; you'd have a comparable (higher?) chance of
> winning. Again
> bringing it back to education, deliberate
> misinterpretation of what
> the few authentic mathematicians involved thought
> they were giving
> their blessing, California has ditched its
> nation's-best Content
> Standards to return to pre-1998 non-standards
> standards. Think your
> beloved MathLand.
>
> Wayne

To bring the discussion back to education, what was the 'solution' Professor Bishop had offered?

As I recall, he'd suggested (after Reid Lyon [Reading Research Expert]):

- -- "BLOW UP THE SCHOOLS OF EDUCATION!"

I guess this is in the best traditions of "the 'educative, scientific route' to salvation"???

As Professor Bishop has rightly observed, "Arguing with True Believers is Great Fun!" Not that you'll ever get anywhere, but it's great fun, nonetheless.

GSC