Topic: Re: all of math is just addition and multiplication
Replies: 0

Back to Topic List Back to Topic List
GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India
Registered: 9/29/05
Re: all of math is just addition and multiplication

Donald Sauter posted Apr 11, 2014 2:51 AM (http://mathforum.org/kb/message.jspa?messageID=9432357) - GSC's remarks follow:

> My first "All of math is just addition and
> multiplication" post generated some bemusement and
> consternation. Perhaps I should have said there are
> just two tools in the mathematician's toolbox -
> addition and multiplication. (Counting is a given.)
> If you take a close look at the individual steps
> s your brain takes in solving a math problem, you
> will find there is nothing beyond basic addition and
> multiplication.
>
> Of course, I'm using "math" in the ordinary sense of
> the number-y, mainstream math, from counting up
> through calculus and beyond.
>
> Somewhere in the thread I issued a challenge to shoot
> me down with some problem taken from a math textbook.
>
> No one accepted the challenge, so I ask again, show
> me a problem from a math textbook that involves more
> than basic steps in the brain of addition and
> multiplication.

I am not a math teacher and I don't have ready access to math textbooks - so I'm unable to respond to your 'challenge'.

I do hope you've reckoned into your daring 'scheme' the fact that "multiplication is just repeated addition"??

You might thus be able to make things even simpler!

Bemusedly yours,
GSC

Message was edited by: GS Chandy