Topic: List vs. array in Mathematica
Replies: 1   Last Post: Apr 13, 2014 5:26 AM

Richard Fateman

Re: List vs. array in Mathematica

On 4/12/2014 2:15 AM, andymhancock@gmail.com wrote:
> In mathematica, is an array simply a list of uniform depth?
No. An Array is a List. For example,

z= Array[f,4] returns{f[1],f[2],f[3],f[4]}
Head[z] returns List
z[[2]]={1,{2,3}}

is perfectly legal.

Note, there is a program Array[ ] which can be used to initially
construct Lists.
Both
> terms are used in the documentation, but I haven't run across an
> explicit explanation of why two terms are needed for the same
> construct.

They aren't. The term "array" is used in computer science and
conventional programming languages for a different data structure
with different storage requirements and different access efficiencies.

So I'm wondering if their relationship is.

Their relationship with respect to Mathematica is: the proprietors
of the program define arrays as lists, ignoring conventions in computer
science. One can speculate as to why.
See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanlon%27s_razor