Topic: Linear Algebra Question
Replies: 28   Last Post: Apr 25, 2014 6:10 AM

David C. Ullrich

Re: Linear Algebra Question

On Tue, 15 Apr 2014 11:05:01 +0200, Roland Franzius
<roland.franzius@uos.de> wrote:

>Am 13.04.2014 18:25, schrieb dullrich@sprynet.com:
>> Just realized I've been lying to my students for years.
>>
>> Q. Say A is a 2x2 real matrix, b is in R^2 and b <> 0.
>> Let S = {x in R^2 : Ax = b}. Is S closed under addition?
>>
>> A: ???

>A is the affine space of one solution plus kernel of A.

If there _is_ a solution...

>Conventionally expressed as:
>The solution space of a linear equation is made up by a special solution
>of the inhomogenuos plus any linear combination of solutions of the
>homogenous equation.

If there _is_ a solution...

>What is the meaning of "student" here. High school students? Students of
>the Raetian University of Applied Sciences?

Undergraduates, mostly junior and senior engineers.

Date Subject Author
4/13/14
Read Linear Algebra Question
David C. Ullrich