Topic: Cute question about polynomials
Replies: 63   Last Post: Apr 29, 2014 8:15 AM

David Petry

Re: Cute question about polynomials

Pubkeybreaker wrote:
> On Wednesday, April 23, 2014 11:26:46 PM UTC-4, david petry wrote:
>> On Tuesday, April 22, 2014 10:33:03 PM UTC-7, Math Lover wrote:
>>> Find a polynomial p(x,y) with real coefficients, such
>>> that as x,y range over all the real numbers, the set
>>> of values p(x,y) covers the entire interval (0,infinity}

>>I believe this to be true: this was a Putnam exam problem one
>>year, and *nobody* got the answer!

> It should not be that difficult. Consider f(x,y) = epsilon, [...]

I agree that the problem is not very difficult, if you're told
that such a polynomial does exist! The Putnam exam problem asked
the question of whether such a polynomial exists, which is only a
little bit different from the question "Math Lover" asked, but it's
enough of a difference to make it much harder (for undergraduates,
anyways). I was told by a source I consider to be very reliable
that no one got the answer, which is indeed amazing, since some of
the top guys taking the Putnam exam are rather sharp.

Date Subject Author
4/23/14
Read Cute question about polynomials
Math Lover
4/23/14
Read Re: Cute question about polynomials
quasi
4/23/14
Read Re: Cute question about polynomials
William Elliot
4/23/14
Read Re: Cute question about polynomials
Math Lover
4/23/14
Read Re: Cute question about polynomials
quasi
4/23/14
Read Re: Cute question about polynomials
Port563
4/23/14
Read Re: Cute question about polynomials
quasi
4/23/14
Read Re: Cute question about polynomials
Port563
4/23/14
Read Re: Cute question about polynomials
Peter Percival
4/23/14
Read Re: Cute question about polynomials
Peter Percival
4/23/14
Read Re: Cute question about polynomials
Port563
4/23/14
Read Re: Cute question about polynomials
Jim Burns
4/23/14
Read Re: Cute question about polynomials
Math Lover
4/23/14
Read Re: Cute question about polynomials
Roland Franzius
Pfsszxt@aol.com
4/23/14
Read Re: Cute question about polynomials
Math Lover
4/23/14
Read Re: Cute question about polynomials
Peter Percival
4/23/14
Read Re: Cute question about polynomials
Math Lover
4/23/14
Read Re: Cute question about polynomials
ArtflDodgr
4/23/14
Read Re: Cute question about polynomials
Math Lover
4/23/14
Read Re: Cute question about polynomials
quasi
4/23/14
Read Re: Cute question about polynomials
Math Lover
4/23/14
Read Re: Cute question about polynomials
quasi
4/24/14
Read Re: Cute question about polynomials
Richard Tobin
4/27/14
Read Re: Cute question about polynomials (and another one)
Port563
4/27/14
Read Re: Cute question about polynomials (and another one)
quasi
4/28/14
Read Re: Cute question about polynomials (and another one)
Port563
4/28/14
Read Re: Cute question about polynomials (and another one)
quasi
4/28/14
Read Re: Cute question about polynomials (and another one)
Port563
4/27/14
Read Re: Cute question about polynomials (and another one)
quasi
4/28/14
Read Re: Cute question about polynomials (and another one)
Port563
4/28/14
Read Re: Cute question about polynomials (and another one)
Leon Aigret
4/28/14
Read Re: Cute question about polynomials (and another one)
Port563
4/28/14
Read Re: Cute question about polynomials (and another one)
Bart Goddard
4/28/14
Read Re: Cute question about polynomials (and another one)
quasi
4/29/14
Read Re: Cute question about polynomials (and another one)
Leon Aigret
4/29/14
Read Re: Cute question about polynomials (and another one)
quasi
4/23/14
Read Re: Cute question about polynomials
Port563
4/24/14
Read Re: Cute question about polynomials
Roland Franzius
4/23/14
Read Re: Cute question about polynomials
David Petry
4/24/14
Read Re: Cute question about polynomials
Timothy Murphy
4/24/14
Read Re: Cute question about polynomials
quasi
4/24/14
Read Re: Cute question about polynomials
Math Lover
4/24/14
Read Re: Cute question about polynomials
Port563
4/24/14
Read Re: Cute question about polynomials
Math Lover
4/24/14
Read Re: Cute question about polynomials
Port563
4/24/14
Read Re: Cute question about polynomials
Math Lover
4/24/14
Read Re: Cute question about polynomials
Jim Burns
4/24/14
Read Re: Cute question about polynomials
Peter Percival
4/26/14
Read Re: Cute question about polynomials
ross.finlayson@gmail.com
4/24/14
Read Re: Cute question about polynomials
ross.finlayson@gmail.com
4/25/14
Read Re: Cute question about polynomials
Math Lover
4/25/14
Read Re: Cute question about polynomials
Port563
4/24/14
Read Re: Cute question about polynomials
David Petry
4/24/14
Read Re: Cute question about polynomials
Virgil
4/24/14
Read Re: Cute question about polynomials
Port563
4/24/14
Read Re: Cute question about polynomials
Virgil
4/24/14
Read Re: Cute question about polynomials
Port563
4/25/14
Read Re: Cute question about polynomials
Math Lover
4/25/14
Read Re: Cute question about polynomials
Pubkeybreaker
4/25/14