Topic: Astonishing
Replies: 0

Back to Topic List Back to Topic List
Luis A. Afonso

From: LIsbon (Portugal)
Registered: 2/16/05
Astonishing

Astonishing Statements I had heard here (from Jack Tomsky)

Date: Aug 17, 2007 12:17 PM

Author: Luis A. Afonso

Re: The latest Jack Tomsky BLUNDER (II)

Jack Tomsky wrote:

*** In my role as an unpaid moderator for the forum, I have to point out that Afonso assigned a probability of less than one to the team winning 62 out of the first 120 games. Since these games have been completed and the outcomes observed, the probability of winning 62 out of the first 120 is one. That's why Afonso's numbers don't make any sense. Jack (moderator of the Math Forum).*** ________________________________________________

My response

From a text-book I MODIFIED a basic definition in order to be in accordance with the SINGULAR idea Jack Tomsky have in respect to Probability. ___Probability is a set function P that assigns to each event A in the sample space S a number P(A) (called Probability of the event A) such that the following properties are satisfied:

___P (A) = 1 iff the event A was occurred
___P (A) = 0 iff does not

___THEREFORE
COROLLARY 1 __ The Calculus of Probability is reduced to a post verification (after the trial) if the event has occurred or not occurred. ALL FORECASTING relative to the event output is NOT ALLOWED.
COROLLARY .2 __ It is superfluous and disturbing to the theory tough an event is a priori more liable or less liable to occur: only the trial outputs are able show this feature among events.

Conclusion
US statisticians are all POST-MORTEM SURGEONS following Jack´s theory): Luis.