Topic: Standards Clarification document
Replies: 13   Last Post: May 30, 2014 6:50 AM

Dianne Gizowski

RE: Standards Clarification document
att1.html (16.8 K)

Grace,
Back in April when this all came out, AMTNYS put the following out on this listserv that talked about the transition year(s) in respect to the definitions, so there shouldn?t be a worry for this year?s kids:

There are currently two different, widely accepted definitions of a trapezoid:

The ?inclusive? definition states that a trapezoid is a quadrilateral with at least one pair of parallel sides.

The ?exclusive? definition states that a trapezoid is a quadrilateral with exactly one pair of parallel sides.

New York State?s 2014 mathematics assessments in grades 3-8 will not favor the use of either definition. Beginning in 2015, questions may appear on all of New York?s Common Core mathematics assessments (including grades 3-8 and Regents-level Geometry) that require students to know and apply the ?inclusive? definition. For all remaining Regents Exams in mathematics that measure the 2005 Revised Standards and Core Curriculum, students will not be penalized for using either definition.

If you have any further questions, please free to contact the Office of Curriculum and Instruction at emscurric@mail.nysed.com<mailto:emscurric@mail.nysed.com> or the Office of State Assessment at emscassessinfo@mail.nysed.gov<mailto:emscassessinfo@mail.nysed.gov>.