Topic: units for great circle distance
Replies: 5   Last Post: May 29, 2014 2:06 PM

Jonathan W Smith

Re: units for great circle distance

dpb <none@non.net> wrote in message <lm7ogh$vn3$1@speranza.aioe.org>...
> On 5/29/2014 10:21 AM, Jonathan W Smith wrote:
> ... [top posting repaired]...
>

> > dpb <none@non.net> wrote in message <lm5tq8$kgd$1@speranza.aioe.org>...

> >> Dependent on units of what you input...

> > Good morning:
> >
> > My longitude and latitude are degrees. How does the function know what
> > units you are putting in? If I put in miles, will it output miles? If I
> > put in the number 10 how does in know its no miles vs km?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Jonathan

> Guess better find out which function you're actually using; there is no
> greatCircleDistance() function in current documentation nor at the File
> Exchange, I just made a deductive conclusion from the name of the function.
>
> The Mapping Toolbox function distance() returns an arc length in degrees
> by default, optionally in radians. You convert to distance based on
> diameter.
>
> Check the documentation on the function you're using, specifically, for
> its assumptions.
>
> --

There are two great circle distance functions on the file exchange:

http://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/fileexchange/36695-corresponding-points-through-mdl/content/Functions3D/GreatCircleDistance.m

http://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/fileexchange/23026-compute-the-great-circle-distance-between-two-points/content/greatCircleDistance.m