Topic: bar graph info
Replies: 4   Last Post: May 30, 2014 7:06 PM

Dianne Gizowski

Re: bar graph info
att1.html (7.1 K)

Thanks, Bob. I have seen this, but the colleagues who were asking weren't so much worried about test scoring, but about the actual mathematical aspects of bar graphs. They just want to know what's actually the "right" way to do it. They wondered about the spacing between the axis and the first bar, and how sometimes the space is the same as the ones between the bars, and sometimes not (and what reasoning to explain to kids if they put no space). They also wondered about the notation used to show breaks in the data. So you can see, it's not just about points on a test, they are having some deeper (which is great) conversations about it. So, we are looking for a resource. I can dig into some of my old textbooks to see what I can see! But thanks again!

On May 30, 2014, at 4:57 PM, "Bob" <bobderek@earthlink.net<mailto:bobderek@earthlink.net>> wrote:

I just see rules about bars, not about the vertical axis that may or may not be labeled ?0.?

From: owner-nysmsmath@mathforum.org<mailto:owner-nysmsmath@mathforum.org> [mailto:owner-nysmsmath@mathforum.org] On Behalf Of Bob Bieringer
Sent: Friday, May 30, 2014 4:08 PM
To: nysmsmath@mathforum.org<mailto:nysmsmath@mathforum.org>; GizowskiD@dcboces.com<mailto:GizowskiD@dcboces.com>
Subject: Re: bar graph info

Ms. Gizowski:

Please see attachment from the SED regarding the "rules" for bar graphs on the NY State Math Assessments for various grade levels.

Mr. Bob Bieringer
(See number eight) Retired Director of Mathematics Director K-12

On Fri, May 30, 2014 at 3:23 PM, Dianne Gizowski <GizowskD@dcmoboces.com<mailto:GizowskD@dcmoboces.com>> wrote:
Hello,
I?m looking for a credible resource that will give explicit ?rules? for bar graphs. I was specifically asked about whether it is incorrect if the first bar is tight up against the scale (y-axis). While it?s not the convention to have this, I can?t find anything that says it?s specifically prohibited. Can anyone recommend a resource?
Thanks,
Dianne