Topic: This Math Question From A Hong Kong Elementary School Test Has Adults Stumped
Replies: 9   Last Post: Jun 11, 2014 4:26 AM

Pubkeybreaker

Re: This Math Question From A Hong Kong Elementary School Test Has
Adults Stumped

On Tuesday, June 10, 2014 3:07:45 PM UTC-4, Bart Goddard wrote:
> John Jones <a1jrj@hotamil.com> wrote in news:MPG.2dff8d08bf7491399896e8@news.eternal-september.org: >> http://www.businessinsider.com/math-question-from-hong-kong-elementary >> -school-test-2014-6 >> >> Jai Maharaj, Jyotishi >> Om Shanti >> >> http://groups.google.com/group/alt.fan.jai-maharaj > > Easy for those like me who briefly panic on crossing the "no entry" > legend painted across the exits to motorways. > JJ It's apparently easy for everyone I know. This includes math Ph.D.'s, freshmen, sophomores, cousins, farmers, children, liberals, racists, drug dealers, cops, store clerks, and so on. I can't find anyone who doesn't get it in less than 3 seconds. One might conjecture that the article's author lives in an idiot vortex, but I myself am a strong idiot magnet, so I really don't know why his sample is so much dumber than mine. I call "bullshit" on the article.

It isn't really a math problem. It is a problem in cognition.
It also requires some default assumptions about how such parking
spaces get numbered in the real world.