The Math Forum

Search All of the Math Forum:

Views expressed in these public forums are not endorsed by NCTM or The Math Forum.

Math Forum » Discussions » sci.math.* » sci.math

Notice: We are no longer accepting new posts, but the forums will continue to be readable.

Topic: Inflection
Replies: 16   Last Post: Jun 19, 2014 1:07 PM

Advanced Search

Back to Topic List Back to Topic List Jump to Tree View Jump to Tree View   Messages: [ Previous | Next ]
Marnie Northington

Posts: 1,251
Registered: 12/13/04
Posted: Jun 18, 2014 1:39 PM
  Click to see the message monospaced in plain text Plain Text   Click to reply to this topic Reply

A recent thread about points of inflection reminded me of a function I
encountered when I was a math student.

The function had many points of inflection but it also had points, which I
presume are also called inflection points, where the gradient was infinite
(i.e tending to a vertical rather than horizontal line on an x,y graph).

I remember the graph looking like a staircase with rounded edges but I have
completely forgotten what the function was. It's possible I have not
remembered it correctly due to it being so long ago.

Can anyone tell me what this function was or give me a similar function?

Old Guy

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in this topic.

[Privacy Policy] [Terms of Use]

© The Math Forum at NCTM 1994-2018. All Rights Reserved.