Topic: Inflection
Replies: 16   Last Post: Jun 19, 2014 1:07 PM

Marnie Northington

Re: Inflection

"William Elliot" <marsh@panix.com> wrote in message
> On Wed, 18 Jun 2014, John Smith wrote:

>> The function had many points of inflection but it also had points, which
>> presume are also called inflection points, where the gradient was
>> infinite
>> (i.e tending to a vertical rather than horizontal line on an x,y graph).
>> I remember the graph looking like a staircase with rounded edges but I
>> have
>> completely forgotten what the function was. It's possible I have not
>> remembered it correctly due to it being so long ago.
>> Can anyone tell me what this function was or give me a similar function?

> y = -sqr(1 - (1 + x)^2), x in [-1,0]
> . = sqr(1 - (1 - x)^2), x in [0,1]

Interesting functions but the graphs don't look like what I remember.

It must have been something I could plot myself.
And it likely included trigonometric functions but I'm not 100% certain.

This looks a little like what I remember:

But although that has points of what might be called horizontal inflection
it doesn't have vertical inflection.

Old Guy